What do you do with your vegetable peel?

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Mar 24, 9:52pm
My worm farm gets all my vegetable scraps but I basically don't do a lot of peeling, preferring to just scrub. I do peel pumpkin/butternut/buttercup etc, and cucumber.

When I am away at the beach I take my bokashi bucket because every day I can gather some fresh seaweed to add in. Bokashi doesn't smell. You can also put citrus and onion into a bokashi bucket.

It is true, worms do not like onions and citrus so don't put them into a worm farm but the compost can take them with no trouble and it has no effect on my worm population. The arrive after the offending foods have rotted down.

katj90, Mar 25, 12:20am
Wash them well along with any other cut off bits of veggies, freeze them in a bag and add to it until it's full, then chuck it all in the stockpot with some water and seasonings and make veggie stock to freeze in bulk.

pilgrim2, Mar 25, 12:22am
I hand feed them to the two beautiful cattle in the paddock. Cassie Role and Bola Roast.Lol

antoniab, Mar 25, 9:05am
How come you peel cucumber!

pickles7, Mar 25, 11:13pm
Carbs, maybe!.I have started to peel mine too, I am getting sorted with regards to low carbing.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_carbs_in_cucumbers

macandrosie, Mar 26, 12:21am
The telegragh cucmber doesn't need peeling but other varities have tougher skins.
On the compost note. if you want worms in your compost add a couple of handfuls of blood & bone every time you mow your lawns, really helps with the breakdown & encourags worms.

lythande1, Mar 26, 5:41am
Yes I do, and everything goes into the compost. Worms don't rummage around in the fresh stuff anyway, take a look, they're in the bottom in all the broken down humus type stuff.

The only thing I do do, is mow things like the stalks on old plants pulled out - like corn and the massive stalks you get on parsley etc. Breaks down faster than throwing in big lumps of stuff. Smaller stuff and leafier stuff, in whole.

julz29, Mar 26, 7:24am
Feed to my chickens! Always looking for scraps :)

sherrydog, Mar 26, 7:44am
Compost it.

buzzy110, Mar 26, 10:06pm
ONly for my little grandson. He is still a bit too small to be consuming large amounts of anti-nutrients and cucumber skin removal is one way that I can keep the amount down. He is given lots of vegetables. As he gets older, I will stop peeling the cucumber for him, however, I now have a grand daughter and will be looking after her as well when her mother returns to work so peeling cucumber is on the cards for me for a little while yet.

knickers, Sep 3, 12:32am
STRAIGHTONTO THE WORM FARM,NO ONIONS OF CORSE

knickers, Sep 3, 12:34am
sorry bout capitols,and the course spelling,old and grey plus no working brains.

daisyhill, Sep 3, 1:29am
We make delicious vegetable stock from any veg scraps and ends (if they are clean) and everything then ends up on the compost heap.

nauru, Sep 3, 2:18am
Me too, keep all peelings etc after washing veges, toss into a bag which is kept in the freezer until full.Make vege stock then compost scraps.

lilyfield, Sep 3, 8:00am
Besides onion garlic and avocados I can't think of anything that needs peeling.