What do you do with your vegetable peel?

Page 1 / 2
staceytee109, Mar 24, 1:07am
Normally i would just throw in the bin but wondered how others dispose of their vege peels. Ive just made vege soup and have a bucket full of peelings.

WWYD

lythande1, Mar 24, 1:08am
Compost. If it's edible in the first place I don't peel it.

susieq9, Mar 24, 1:18am
I dig a hole in the garden and put vege scrapes into it. Make sure you cover it over with the soil. Breaks down very quickly.

accroul, Mar 24, 1:20am
compost

rainrain1, Mar 24, 1:33am
I cook it up for my chooks every second day, so they repay me by laying where I can't find their nests.

terachaos, Mar 24, 2:02am
rainrain1 wrote:
I cook it up for my chooks every second day, so they repay me by laying where I can't find their nests.[/quote/

Mine too! Collecting ducks at the mo; must be getting close to duck hunting season:)

elliehen, Mar 24, 2:03am
Compost, but not onion skins or citrus (worms don't like them) and not pumpkin seeds, because they start to grow ;)

deus701, Mar 24, 2:05am
staff lunch

indy95, Mar 24, 2:06am
Compost usually, but if I am making stock I often add vegetable peels to that to boost the flavour.

fisher, Mar 24, 2:29am
Make crisps from scrubbed spud peelings.boil other veges to make vege stock. then add an oxo cube to make chicken or beef stock.worm farm.

gilligee, Mar 24, 2:44am
Compost, doesn't everyone! Including onion skins, pumpkin seeds and citrus.

elliehen, Mar 24, 2:46am
Bet you don't have big bundles of worms like mine ;)

I have so many I give them away as gifts to friends.

sumstyle, Mar 24, 2:48am
Heh heh

stells3, Mar 24, 3:17am
At the mo I toss them over the fence into vacant section next door.Hubby says when it gets sold and someone starts to excavate they will think it is an ancient maori midin.Normally they get buried in my veg garden, but don't have a garden as yet.

wildflower, Mar 24, 3:22am
I don't peel anything unless I have to, but if it's like avocado skin etc then into the compost.

floralsun, Mar 24, 3:28am
Me too - and masses of worms.

kay141, Mar 24, 3:42am
I have a Bokashi and they all go in there.

ruby2shoes, Mar 24, 3:52am
LOL, you either get some real strange looks from friends, or they know you very well!

angel404, Mar 24, 3:55am
I feed them to my neighbours chickens over our back fence. The digging a hole and putting the scraps into that is a good idea tho.

tlkin, Mar 24, 4:13am
compost. we have 2 bins. When one side gets full it is turned and left for abit then put on the garden.And the other side gets the peelings put in - and everything compostable - even the contents of the vacum cleaner! There is the odd bit of plastic or tinsel that turns up in the vegie garden from time to time - beats filling up the rubbish bag though with things that can go back to the soil.

pickles7, Mar 24, 4:54am
We used to compost to breed worms to feed the chickens. We did sometimes hang an old bit of meat up out of reach, that was good as well, white grubs were yummy too.for the chickens. .

antoniab, Mar 24, 6:06am
Dig a hole in the vege garden and put them in - or give to the neighbour who has a worm farm

cookessentials, Mar 24, 6:49am
compost or the chooks ( depending on the peel)

auburn4, Mar 24, 10:45am
Compost, and the onion skins and citrus too, as long as there aren't to many of either they don't harmthe worms. If I hadn't tossed them pumpkin seeds in the compost last year I wouldn't have a pumpkin vine now.

grandma, Mar 24, 8:01pm
Collected for my worm farm, or if not suitable for them into the compost bin they co.