Induction and ceramic hobs

5425, Feb 29, 10:25pm
is there a need for different cooking pots etc !.

kiwitrish, Feb 29, 11:44pm
Friend has an induction hob and says that she has to use heavy based pots.It looks like a fabulous way to cook.Wish I could afford one as they are very expensive.

davidt4, Mar 1, 2:07am
Pans must be made from magnetisable metal such as cast iron or steel. Pure aluminium or copper pans will not work unless the base is bonded with a magnetic metal.You can check whether or not a pan is suitable by placing a magnet on it - if the magnet sticks the pan is suitable.

I looked into the pros and cons of induction hobs recently, as I want to replace my existing hob.I decided in the end that it wasn't worth the expense, and it all sounded very complicated.For example, on most induction hobs you if you have all four elements going at once the elements won't get as hot as if you were using only one or two.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 2:48am
Depending on the pans you have, alot of older pans wont work on the induction surface. Most of the newer pans made now are induction suitable such as Infinite Circulon, WMF,Judge. Henckel and Stellar. Ceramic dont need any special types of pans, although it can scratch easily. I have a ceramic stove top ( was in the house when we bought it) i use my cast ironcasserole on it, but do not slide it around, I lift it.

fisher, Mar 1, 12:25pm
davidt4. yes was in the same mode,thinking about induction, ceramic and even gas as it would be an easy install to a nice wee nook just outside for the gas bottles . after some research decided on the ceramic.happy with it and am enjoying the mufti rings for different size pots etc and also the timer on each element meaning I can go and do other things instead of standing over pots.:}
Next is the new wall oven.