How long to poach a whole chicken, please?

mazzy1, Feb 27, 9:50pm
This is a free-range chicken (of course) that weighs 1.350 kg, and I'm making chicken noodle broth. TIA

245sam, Feb 27, 10:22pm
mazzy1, are you planning on cooking the chicken in a saucepan!If so I suggest that you base the cooking time on the times given in the recipe at:-
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/4-12-cup-chicken.html Or if using a slowcooker, you might like to use/base your times on those in this recipe:- http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/slow-cooker-4-12-cup-chi
cken.html

I have not yet tried the slowcooker version but I can assure you that the saucepan version makes a delicious meal.:-))

shop-a-holic, Feb 27, 10:25pm
Approx 45 mins.

mazzy1, Feb 27, 10:27pm
Thanks for those links! They say an hour for a size 16 chicken, which is shorter than I would have thought! My recipe comes from The Fridge in Alexandra who are world famous for their Chicken Noodle Broth. It uses onion skins to give it the most gorgeous colour, and has egg noodles and bean sprouts; it's my absolutely favourite soup in the world.

purplegoanna, Feb 27, 10:41pm
i demand you to share the recipe!.

davidt4, Feb 27, 10:45pm
I use the Chinese "white-cooked" method to poach a whole chicken.In case you're interested, here's a wonderful detailed recipe from Kylie Kwong.The poaching technique can of course be adapted to non-Asian flavours by simply using unflavoured homemade chicken stock as the poaching liquid.

White-cooked Chicken (Kylie Kwong)

1 free range chicken approx 1.6kg
extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon in wedges
salt and pepper

Masterstock:

6 litres cold water
750 ml Shao Xing wine
8 spring onions, cut in half crossways
12 cloves garlic, crushed
90 g ginger, sliced
½ c salt flakes

Place stock ingredients in a large pan, bring to the boil then simmer 40 min.

Rinse chicken, trim excess fat but keep intact including neck, parson’s nose, winglets.

Lower chicken into simmering stock breast side down, make sure it is fully submerged.Poach gently 14 minutes, just below simmering point.There should be little movement in the stock.

Immediately remove from heat and leave chicken to steep in the stock for 3 hours at room temp.

Carefully remove chicken from stock without breaking skin on breast.Cool on large plate.

To serve cut into quarters, trickle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Serve with lemon wedges and a dipping sauce.

Ginger Dipping Sauce

90 g ginger, chopped
1 bunch spring onions including dark green parts, finely sliced
1 bunch coriander stems and roots onlu, finely sliced
¾ tsp salt flakes
pinch of white pepper
¾ c peanut oil

Pound ginger, spring onion, coriander and salt in a mortar to form a paste.Transfer to a heatproof bowl and add pepper.

Heat oil in small pan until moderately hot.Carefully pour over paste to scald.Mix well.

mazzy1, Feb 27, 10:50pm
OK you twisted my arm.

The Fridge Chicken Noodle Broth
1/2 raw chicken
2 litres of water
skins from 2 medium onions
2 medium onions
2 medium carrots
6 cloves garlic
2 tbspn oil
2 tbspn fish sauce
2 tbspn soya sauce
juice of one lime
1 beaten egg
salt
1 tbspn cornflour

Bring chicken, water and onion skins to boil and simmer until chicken is cooked. Shred meat when cool, strain stock and set aside. Grate or slice carrots into matchsticks, thickly slice onions and garlic. Fry in oil until soft - add stock, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice. Add salt and chicken and bring to boil. Add beaten egg while boiling, thicken with cornflour mixed with 2 tbspns cold water. Garnish with blanched egg noodles, mung bean sprouts, chopped spring onions, chopped coriander and sesame seeds.

It's unbelievably scrumptious!

245sam, Feb 26, 10:50am
Poached Chicken - so easy and so delicious.:-))

245sam, Feb 27, 10:22pm
mazzy1, are you planning on cooking the chicken in a saucepan!If so I suggest that you base the cooking time on the times given in the recipe at:-
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/4-12-cup-chicken.html Or if using a slowcooker, you might like to use/base your times on those in this recipe:- http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/slow-cooker-4-12-cup-chi
cken.html

I have not yet tried the slowcooker version but I can assure you that the saucepan version makes a delicious meal.:-))