How to spruce up steak?

zharacadz, Feb 19, 12:44am
Getting sick of just frying it with a sauce if some kind. Looking at some nice flavours I can stick on the steak or marinade! Any ideas please!

davidt4, Feb 19, 12:53am
Thai Beef Salad (Yam Neua Yang Nahm Toke)

serves 4

350g lean beef sirloin, rump or fillet
2 tab fish sauce
4 tab lime juice
1 tsp palm sugar
1/2tsp roasted chilli powder
3 shallots, finely sliced
lettuce leaves
⅓ c coriander leaves, roughly chopped
⅓ c mint leaves, roughly chopped

Mix fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and chilli powder, add shallots.

Line a serving plate with lettuce leaves.

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and grill over high heat to medium rare.Slice crosswise into strips and add to dressing, combine well.Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.Spoon over lettuce leaves, sprinkle coriander and mint on top to serve.

davidt4, Feb 19, 12:55am
Vietnamese Beef, Peanut & Cabbage Salad √√√

Serves 3

1 hot chilli seeded and chopped
2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tsp palm sugar
3 tab lime juice
3 tab fish sauce
100 ml coconut cream
1 small red onion finely sliced
30g ginger, julienned
400g white cabbage shredded (or ½ cucumber in ribbons)
handfuls of of mint, coriander, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil, sweet basil (as available)
50 g peanuts, roasted, cooled and roughly crushed
400 - 450g beef sirloin, rump or fillet
1 tsp fish sauce for beef
1 tsp peanut oil

Several hours before serving (or the day before):

Mix chilli, garlic, sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and coconut cream and dissolve sugar.Add ginger, cabbage and onion and combine well.Leave to macerate several hours, turning over occasionally (or overnight).

Roast peanuts (or fry in a little peanut oil until toasted).Cool and crush lightly.

30 minutes before serving:

Cut beef into thick steaks, remove all fat and sinew.Coat with fish sauce and leave at room temperature.

Snip herb leaves into cabbage mixture and combine well.

Heat a heavy frying pan or char-grill pan, when very hot add peanut oil and sear beef very briefly on all sides, when still rare remove to a plate and leave until cool.

Slice beef very thinly and reserve juices.

Arrange cabbage mixture on a flat serving plate, beef on top, peanuts scattered over beef, beef juices poured over.

zharacadz, Feb 19, 3:57am
Yum! Thanks Davidt4. Wont be able to try these tonight as I do not have most of these ingredients, but attempt next time!

holly-rocks, Feb 19, 5:10am
Hi Davidt4! Thanks for both those recipes, they sound very yum and have written them down : )

lodgelocum, Feb 19, 5:31am
Steak should be served as steak, nothing wrong with garlic butter orcreamy mushrooms or peppered steak., or good old steak, fries, eggs, onions and a lovely fresh green salad.Yum wish I was now having it for dinner, alas no.

kinna54, Feb 19, 6:22am
I love a good steak topped with a good bite of Haloumi.
Another suggestion is to make kebabs. Nice even sizes of steak and chunky veges, add a nice marinade if you like, and something to dip on the side.

kinna54, Feb 19, 6:25am
I love a good steak topped with a good bite of Haloumi.
Another suggestion is to make kebabs. Nice even sizes of steak and chunky veges, add a nice marinade if you like, and something to dip on the side. serve with a nice rocket or beetroot salad and some crispy garlic bread.
and thenyou can'tbeat a good ol steak sammie.

wasgonna, Feb 19, 7:44am
Steak is the most boring meat in existence. Give me something with a bone in it.

duckmoon, Feb 19, 8:05am
Cook one side, turn, top with blu cheese. Cook second side.

Eat. Yum