Anyone make and sell cakes from home?

poppakk, Feb 16, 7:45am
I know you aren't meant to do this, unless in a commercial Kitchen but how many people do this from their own home! What did you do to begin (costs, what you needed etc) and did you only sell to friends/work mates or did you sell to everyone!

Just wondering as I like baking and would be nice to make some extra money in my spare time doing something I like. :)

joybells2, Feb 16, 7:50am
Don't even go there wihout doing in a commercial kitchen, you can be prosecuted.

very_hotpants, Feb 16, 8:58am
I looked into it and you need certificates, inspections etc. Not worth the effort unless you have a commercial kitchen and money to cover the fees. i just wanted to sell some GF baking at a few markets but even to sell one cake I would need to have inspections.
Look on your councils website and see what is required.

pickles7, Feb 16, 9:35am
Your kitchen will require a Factory license, if you sell the goods away from the premises.
I think you will loose more than than ten years profits, if a pin, or a bit of glass was found in one of your creations. We had a glass shatter the other night, we have cleaned the kitchen several times and still find little bits of glass.

chooky, Feb 16, 9:40am
You could approach your local hall, most of them are set up with commerical kitchens these days. Hire kitchen for 1/2 day and bake like mad.

griffo4, Feb 16, 8:07pm
how manypeople ever got sick from cake stall food, all those nicely baked cakes etc!
We have gone mad with bureaucracy these days and the whole country suffers because we are stopping any new innovations and anyone wanting to make a few $$$$ when we should be encouraging it
l think anyone who baked to sell makes very sure that everything was spotless as most people put so much pride and effort into their creations and if you did sell something bad then the customers won't come back

griffo4, Feb 16, 8:07pm
sorry rant over

camper18, Feb 16, 9:10pm
It's all about the $$$$$$$$ for councils.

marywea, Feb 16, 9:38pm
There is a difference in the requirements between serving and producing food.Local halls and clubs can do the former but seldom not the latter.Perhaps you could just do it for friends-still selling but not so likely to attract attention from authorities.Made sure noone has a grudge against you though!

davidt4, Feb 16, 10:20pm
The first step is to work out the costing.Make sure you factor in the costs of electricity and water, and enough profit to make it worthwhile.I found when I sold home made cakes that the end price was so high that it limited the market.The same with pies made from scratch.

When making baked goods on a domestic scale with top quality ingredients you can't really compete on price, it has to be absolutely top quality, preferably organic, and beautifully presented.

julie55, Feb 16, 10:43pm
Check out your Council for kitchens to hire by the hour as you will find them reasonable. And you can produce for a market from these premises as they are Council approved. I have done this - as have many now successful food businesses that did eventually establish their own premises. It is a cost effective way to start. Your food licence is given on the premises where you produce so this is a viable solution. Setting up a small food business in NZ and ticking all the regulatory boxes, and coping with the on the spot checks when actually selling is a bureaucratic nightmare and stifles innovation, choice and a wider range for the consumer. Unfortunately it only takes one bad operator to ruin it for the rest of us - so do it right from the start, get the paperwork so you actually build a good reputation with the powers that be.

indy95, Feb 16, 11:16pm
All too true, sadly. Have often thought of baking and selling from home but from a financial point of view it is really not worth the effort.

poppakk, Feb 18, 5:45am
Yup 100% agree with this! If the Customers not satisfied you'll only end up having to discount or sell it to them for free so may as well do it right the first time!

tortenz, Feb 18, 6:19am
Don't do it.

I've been approached by the council checking on me, luckily for me I do actually hire a kitchen.They're on the look out, and if they catch you, you're in trouble.

I knew a lady that made and sold from home.She moved regularly so she 'didn't get caught'.Doesn't live in NZ now.

tortenz, Feb 18, 6:23am
PS.Just because you know your kitchen is hygenic, doesn't mean you won't get caught because you're food is 'safe'.The council is watching for these home food producers.

peejay3, Feb 18, 7:47am
I have heard that if you bake and sell for a charitable cause you don't need a commercial kitchen, anyone have any info about this. Can't see the difference myself,its still being sold to the public.

vintagekitty, Feb 18, 8:12am
lol. She moved house regularly because she did not want to be caught baking cakes, all that effort and expense for cakes! - really!.

vintagekitty, Feb 18, 8:15am
slightly OT but our council wanted to start charging a fee for sausage sizzles and fund raising stalls. There was a outrage and they knocked that idea on the head. It is revenue gathering to a degree although I can totally understand the need for hygeine standards

terachaos, Feb 18, 8:28am
Um, last time I bought something from a cakestall it was mouldy all the way through. Won't do that again.

poppakk, Feb 18, 5:37pm
Wow that's gross!

tortenz, Feb 19, 9:30pm
Yes.She also sold icing decorations on TM and her own website, which she made sitting at her desk.Her lounge was a 'shop', full of the stuff, and she ran classes in the garage.

When she sold icing decs at the market, the council guy told her to get around the food rules, she could label them as "not for human consumption".How many people take the icing decorations off their cupcakes to eat!!

tarshlove, May 11, 8:28pm
Theres a lady on facebook hamilton buy and sell who sells cakes from her home i wonder how she gets away with it!

jag5, May 11, 10:04pm
She does gorgeous cakes too.so so talented.

tarshlove, May 14, 8:36am
which one!