Uses for nectarines and peaches?

iriegirl, Feb 15, 9:56pm
Am looking for preserving recipes but have only found chutneys, has anyone made a sauce with either! TIA

mike844, Feb 15, 10:01pm
2cups of water to 1 cup sugar bring to boil and stew fruit then bottle into sterile warmed jars. you will need seals as well. mix the solution to how much fruit you have as well.

cgvl, Feb 16, 1:46am
do as mike suggests but I freeze using margarine containers. make sure you label though.
You can also make jam. but I don't bother prefer to have so I can make crumbles, fruit sponges or have with custard over winter

pickles7, Feb 16, 2:35am
I have not used peaches or nectarines to make sauce with, but would if I had them.
I would start with a plum sauce recipe, maybe go with fresh ginger, rather than the garlic. I hope you do have a go, and let us know how it turns out.

tjman, Feb 16, 3:04am
For preserving recipes, try the chelsea sugar website.

iriegirl, Feb 16, 6:27am
Thanks pickles7, I will report back with final recipe of experiment, and thanks for the ginger suggestion :o)

pickles7, Apr 13, 5:33am
I am always up for a sauce recipe, I would love you to post it ta.

gaspodetwd, Apr 13, 5:56am
We make lots of delicious puddings with them if you choose not to sauce. Our peach chutney is lovely this year.

baalamb, Apr 13, 9:26am
Peach jam. nothing as nice!

elliehen, Apr 13, 10:43am
I used to make pickled peaches and Peach Butter when I lived in the US.will see if I can hunt out my old recipes.

elliehen, Apr 13, 10:47am
This one from Google is similar to mine, except that I used the overflow method for bottling.The southern state of Georgia is famous for its peaches and a beautiful girl from Georgia is known in other states as a 'Georgia peach' :)

GEORGIA SPICED PEACHES (old family recipe)

Ingredients

19 pounds firm ripe peaches
7 pounds white sugar
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 quart water
24 whole cloves
3 tablespoons crushed cinnamon stick

Directions

Peel peaches and set aside. In a large pot over medium high heat, boil sugar, vinegar and water until the syrup is moderately thick.
Add cloves, cinnamon and peaches. Bring to boil stirring occasionally until the peaches can be pierced to the pit with a fork.
Fill sterilized canning jars with peaches. Continue boiling syrup until heavy and add to peaches to cover.
In a large stock pot, pour water half way to top with boiling water. Using a holder, carefully lower jars into pot. Leave a 2-inch space between jars. Add more boiling water to cover them, about 2 inches above the tops. Bring to a boil and cover, processing for 35 minutes. Remove jars from pot. Put jars on a wood or cloth surface, several inches apart and allow to cool. Jars will be sealed.

elliehen, Apr 13, 10:50am
Here's a Peach Butter recipe with step-by-step photos.It has no butter in it - it's just a delicious fruit spread.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/09/peach-butter/

dbab, Apr 13, 10:40pm
Food in a Minute has a lovely Nectarine recipe.

iriegirl, Apr 14, 4:19am
Here's the recipe and thanks for your advice :o)
Peach Sauce
3 kg peaches
1.5 litres white vinegar
1 kg sugar
2 t ground cloves
2 t black pepper
1 tmace
6 t salt
1 t cayenne pepper
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 t fresh ginger
Remove peach skin by plunging into boiling water for 60 seconds, then into cold water. Destone and chop roughly. Put all ingredients into large pot and boil until pulpy, around two hours. Strain and bottle when cold.