Fresh peaches

amarni1, Feb 13, 1:41am
hi, I have a heap of fresh peaches that I need to use.I have made two lots of peach chutney any other ideas?The peaches have bits of bad in them so are not to good for eating as is.

karma4, Feb 13, 1:45am
bottle them yummmmm

aimz_bj, Feb 13, 1:57am
I have got a nice recipe for a peach torte of you want it?its like a vanilla cake with peaches in it

amarni1, Feb 13, 2:10am
yes please aimz that would be awesome :)

geldof, Feb 13, 2:17am
cut them up. sprinkle with ascorbic acid or dunk in water with the juice of a lemon, then freeze pref. free flow.

then use at you convenience.crumbles etc

amarni1, Feb 13, 2:23am
great thanks for that,will freeze them.have no jars to bottle them so freezing sounds good.

aimz_bj, Feb 13, 3:50am
Peach Torte

400g plain flour
1 Tablesppon baking powder
310g white sugar
4 eggs
150g melted butter

Preheat overn to 180C.Line bottm of cake tin with grease along with the sides.

sift flour and baking powder.set aside 3 tablespoons of the white sugar, whisk the rest of the sugar with the eggs until mixture is pale and thick. fold in flour and butter into the mixture.

spoon half of the mixture into a cake tin.lay peaches on the top of the mixture.put the remaining mix and layer the top with peaches again.sprinkle the reserved sugar over the top of the cake mixture.

bake at 180C for 55-60 mins

geldof, Feb 13, 6:41am
I save jam jars now and bottle fruit in them using overflow method.
cheap and effective.great for kids snacks.
Haven't used proper preserving jars for years.

can do a couple of jars at a time if necessary while doing dinner or the dishes.

sarahj1, Feb 13, 10:05pm
Search these forums for Annabel Langbein's Strawberry Cloud Cake and make it substituting about six peaches for the strawberries. Basically it's a quick fruit sorbet -I made this in the weekend with nectarines and it was fab.

nzgardenia, Feb 15, 6:41am
Looking for a large peach pie - anyone have a quick and easy recipe please?

kob, Feb 15, 5:56pm
you dont have to bottle peaches in jars you can quite easily just cook them as if you were going to bottle them and then pour into a plastic bowl then once frozen place into a plastic bag make it air tight and seal, that way you getto use up all your peaches I did this one year as I had made so many delicious things I had no jars left and it worked a treat, another googdie to make is out of the aunt daisy coobook peach & almond jam it is to die for honestly

cookessentials, Feb 15, 8:27pm
Grilled peaches for dessert...yum

cookessentials, Feb 15, 8:40pm
Amaretti Stuffed Peaches

4 ripe but firm peaches, halved and pitted
55g caster sugar
1/2 cup crumbled amaretti biscuits (about 10 amaretti)
1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped finely
40g unsalted butter, at room temp, plus extra for greasing the roasting pan
1 egg
60ml water
60ml Vin Santo, Marsala or dessert wine
extra Vin Santo, Marsala or dessert wine and whipped cream, to serve

Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan oven).

Scoop out a little of the peach flesh around where the pit used to be, dice finely, and place in a bowl. Add the sugar, amaretti, almonds, butter, and egg, and mix until well combined.

Arrange the scooped-out peach halves, cut-side up, in a small roasting pan. Spoon some of the amaretti mixture into the centre of each peach. Pour the water and the dessert wine into the pan around (but not over) the peaches. The liquid should come no more than a quarter of the way up the peaches.

Place the roasting pan in the preheated oven and cook 30 to 35 minutes until the peaches are tender but still hold their shape. If the peaches are very ripe, they will cook through faster; test them to be sure you do not overcook them, or they will become mushy. The dessert wine and water should have reduced to a light glaze. If the mixture evaporates or starts to burn, add a bit more water to prevent scorching.

When the peaches are ready, remove with a slotted spoon to a platter. Serve at room temperature, drizzled with a little extra dessert wine and a dollop ofcream.

cookessentials, Feb 15, 9:04pm
BBQ Peaches

1/4cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup caster sugar
spray oil
4 large ripe peaches, halved
1 lemon or orange, juiced
2 tablespoons amaretto
whipped cream or ice-cream, to serve

Preheat barbecue to very hot.

Toast almonds in non-stick frying pan on wok burner of the barbecue, or over the grill, shaking occasionally, until golden; transfer to a small bowl.

Sprinkle sugar evenly over base of same pan. Place over high heat and allow to slowly melt and caramelise. While sugar is caramelising, lightly spray flat-plate of barbecue with spray oil. Place peach halves on flat-plate, cut side down and cook 3 minutes or until golden and starting to caramelise. Turn and cook a further 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can place a small sheet of silicon paper or glad-bake on the flat plate. This enables the peaches to cook and caramelise but avoids them sticking.

Meanwhile, finish caramel; once sugar has dissolved and caramelised, add lemon juice or orange juice. Stir to melt caramel. Add amaretto, nuts and cooked peaches. Toss to coat peaches in caramel and nuts.

Serve peaches drizzled with nut caramel and a dollop of whipped cream or ice-cream