Storing home made halloumi any tips

ruby19, Feb 15, 1:19am
just making my first batch of halloumi, any tips on how to store!
The mad millie booklet just says to wrap, but watched a youtube clip and they stored in brine.
Also can i use the whey that has been reboiled to make ricotta!
So excited hope it turns out well :-)

davidt4, Feb 15, 3:13am
I keep my home made haloumi in the freezer.I tried storing it in brine but it went slimy.

The reboiled whey makes excellent ricotta.Once you've cooked the haloumi pieces, return the pan of whey to the heat and heat to a simmer (around 93 C).Pour in a tablespoon or so of vinegar, preferably cider or white winevinegar, and stir briefly.It should flocculate immediately.Take it off the heat and leave to stand for about 10 minutes then scoop the ricotta off and drain it in a sieve lined with muslin.

If the whey doesn't flocculate when you add the vinegar, just add a little more until the curds have formed and the liquid is clear and pale greenish-yellow.

(edited to add) Yes haloumi is very exciting to make, and is an incredible saving.

ruby19, Feb 15, 4:01am
Yeah. Just sliced off a little & cooked, not bad. May like itwith a little salt. Can this be added during the making of, or is it just what is sprinkled over when cooling!

shop-a-holic, Feb 15, 4:07am
I sprinkle mine with dried Italian Herbs before folding in half. I also found the 200gm Sistema click boxes to be perfect and added brine.

davidt4, Feb 15, 4:38am
Sprinkle the salt over it when it has been cooked.I use a mixture of half and half sea salt and dried mint.

vmax2, Feb 15, 5:06am
I store my halloumi in brine.100g salt, 500ml hot whey after you've made the riccotta and 500ml of boiling water.Once cool place halloumi in jars and pour in brine.I've never had a problem with sliminess.Maybe davidt4 kept hers for quite a while.Halloumi always goes quite quickly here.I think that the brine gives the halloumi a good flavour too.

ruby19, Feb 15, 7:25am
I have popped mine in a brine,(just salt & water). Just had some with dinner which was moroccan roast veggies in a couscous, with a yogurt garlic &mint dressing and the wonderful halloumi.
Weighed the cheese and I got about 600g, which when you think the pkts in supermarket are $6+ for 200g.
Can't wait to experiment more with the different cheeses!
I did make a bit of ricotta out of the remaining whey, will whip something up with that tomorrow night :-)

ruby19, Feb 17, 7:39pm
Well first batch gone! Will whip up another batch on weekend :-)
Made a lovely puy lentil salad with roast veg & the lovely halloumi last night, husband was a bit dubious (didn t look pretty). Buthe went back for seconds!
And admitted it was rather good.