Home Made Marshmallows... a newer recipe and is...

murdoc4, Nov 21, 9:19pm
Sounds good - will try today.I need an icing effect for a GIGANTIC cupcake and want to make marshmallow in a mould for the swirly icing!Thanks

elliehen, Nov 21, 9:49pm
Thanks valentino.I was wondering why I had overlooked this recipe and then noticed that you posted the day before Christmas last year when everybody is usually frantic with last minute preparations.

Thanks also to murdoc4, for spotting it :)

puss..in..boots, Nov 21, 10:22pm
I like mine with vanilla essence and coated toasted coconut.

valentino, Nov 22, 1:04am
Yeah, that time of year again.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 9, 11:08am
It is worthy of being one of the best tried, very highly recommended.

Marshmallows.

2 cups castor sugar
not quite 1 cup hot boiling water
3 tablespoons Gelatine
Just over 1/2 cup cold water
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence or other flavouring to suit
Red (or whatever, e'g Green if lime)
Cornflour for dusting.

Grease a good medium size shallow tin, then line with baking paper and allowing extra to overhang each end (easy to lift out).
Combine sugar with hot water in a saucepan and stir over moderate heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved.
With a fork, combine gelatine with cold water then add into the hot sugar syrup, continuing to stir until mixture is clear and the gelatine is dissolved.
Allow to cool say about 40 to 45 minutes then transfer into a mixing bowl.
Using an electric mixer, beat until very thick, then add essence and colouring and beat further until all is blended smoothly.
Spread into tin.
Should be set within 1 1/2 hours, can leave it overnight.
Using the paper overhanhs, lift out onto a cutting board and with a wet knife cut into squares or whatever shapes. One may need to dip knife after each cut.

One used a very thin flexible blade spatula that cuts and also lifts aech square of paper.
Lightly dust with cornflour a baking paper lined storage container, lift out each piece of marshmallow and lightly cover it with cornflour.
One did so many then started to stack some on top of others allowing some bottom space to slightly roll marshmallow pieces on the dusted paper, also add more dusting as it gets used up.

One can use various flavours just like Turkish delights if wish.

Cheers.