Can I use self raising flour in breadmaker?

mattdylan, Feb 15, 12:37am
I just want to make a basic white loaf, or half wholemeal flour and half white, but only have SR flour, will this matter! thanks

seniorbones, Feb 15, 12:39am
I wouldnt think so there is no baking powder in bread its the yeast that makes it rise.

245sam, Feb 15, 1:16am
mattdylan, I personally would not use SR flour in the breadmaker but if that's all you have and you really must make the bread then maybe a loaf that uses only a small amount of the SR flour would be beste.g.¾ whole flour, ¼ white SR flour - I repeat that I personally would not do this because I doubt that the bread would have the usual taste and texture.As an alternative how about some scones, muffins, an oven-baked loaf of some kind!these breads are often called quick breads because there is no waiting required for the yeast to do its work.:-))

mattdylan, Feb 15, 1:25am
great thanks 245sam. i am keen to make a quickbread, but don't have a loaf tin - do you have any recipes! thanks

245sam, Feb 15, 1:50am
Sorry mattdylan, assuming that you want a plain quickbread I don't really think I can help with a personally tried and tested recipe, however if you have a bottle or two of beer to spare you might like to try:-
http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:baking-and-treats/beer-bread/

I have made many loaves but they're always flavoured, usually with bananas or dried fruit of some kind, or another loaf/quick bread I make is Two Cheese and Herb Bread that is a great way of using previously frozen cream cheese.

Re "i am keen to make a quickbread, but don't have a loaf tin" - do you have a tin that is twice the size of a loaf tin!If so, I suggest that you try doubling a loaf recipe and then halve the cooked double-sized loaf, freeze one half and use the other - maybe you could try that with Jo's recipe or alternatively, based on "Beer Bread Inspirations" in Jo's book, try making foccacia in a 30cm x 20cm slice tin using Jo's Beer Bread recipe or with appropriate additions Jo suggests making hot cross buns using her recipe and they're cooked in muffin tins - Maybe you could try doing that to make bread rolls!

Hope those thoughts help.:-))

gardie, Feb 15, 3:09am
The other day I wanted to make afghans and only had self raising flour.I just used it and couldn't tell the difference!I also used it in focacia alongside some wholemeal, rolled oats and it was fine.I think the bread making process (time) means the raising agents don't really do what they are supposed to anyway.No harm in trying.