Self raising flour help

happygabi, Apr 2, 9:38pm
dont have any sr flour can i use high grade and baking powder instead? what is the ratio?

245sam, Apr 2, 9:52pm
you sure can happygabi - opinions vary as to the ratio of baking powder to flour.Some say 1 tsp to 1 cup, while others say 2 tsp or somewhere in between so you choose but if you're making scones or anything that you want to be light and fluffy, and/or well-risen (especially scones or similar) then I suggest that you use 2 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour.

Hope that helps.:-))

cookessentials, Apr 2, 10:08pm
Yes you can. I only ever use high grade or self raising. To get self raising, add two LEVEL tsp of baking powder to every metric cup of flour

tinkerrbelle, Apr 2, 10:20pm
Yes SR flour is 1 cup of flour to 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.

"High grade flour" is the higher gluten protein flour suitable for bread making its the gluten that gives it that springy elastic texture.Breads, rolls, pizza bases, flaky pastry, heavy fruit cakes (fruit, carrot, banana), heavy puddings.

All-purpose Cake & pastry flour is the flour higher in starch that gives it a tender moist crumby texture. (Light cakes, sponge puddings, light fluffy muffins, biscuits, cookies, shortcrust pastry and gravies)

If you are intending to make fluffy light sweet type baking rather than heavier savouries or breads your high grade flour will be still be fine to use, but the reults will be slightly denser/chewier and not as tender and light as they could have been.But I wouldn't worry, just use it anyway.Most people don't notice the difference.And baking of any kind is always welcome!

happygabi, Apr 3, 9:38pm
dont have any sr flour can i use high grade and baking powder instead! what is the ratio!

245sam, Apr 3, 9:52pm
you sure can happygabi - opinions vary as to the ratio of baking powder to flour.Some say 1 tsp to 1 cup, while others say 2 tsp or somewhere in between so you choose but if you're making scones or anything that you want to be light and fluffy, and/or well-risen (especially scones or similar) then I suggest that you use 2 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour.

Hope that helps.:-))

tinkerrbelle, Apr 3, 10:20pm
Yes SR flour is 1 cup of flour to 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.

"High grade flour" is the higher gluten protein flour suitable for bread making its the gluten that gives it that springy elastic texture.Breads, rolls, pizza bases, flaky pastry, heavy fruit cakes (fruit, carrot, banana), heavy puddings.

All-purpose Cake & pastry flour is the flour higher in starch that gives it a tender moist crumby texture. (Light cakes, sponge puddings, light fluffy muffins, biscuits, cookies, shortcrust pastry and gravies)

If you are intending to make fluffy light sweet type baking rather than heavier savouries or breads your high grade flour will be still be fine to use, but the reults will be slightly denser/chewier and not as tender and light as they could have been.But I wouldn't worry, just use it anyway.Most people don't notice the difference.And baking of any kind is always welcome!