Self raising flour v plain flour for scones

infinityjrc, Oct 9, 8:14am
I made scones but found them quite crumbly and tasted of alot of rising products, I didnt like the self raising flour mix too much, can those you make scones tell me what they use for this the ones i made rose nicely but did not remind me of the crunch outside soft inside scones that my mother made (I had the oven at 220 and preheated) I do not think it was the cooking but the four!

elliehen, Oct 9, 8:58am
Self-raising flour does leave a baking soda taste in the mouth, with an odd sensation on the teeth.I'd use plain flour and baking powder.

sailor13, Oct 9, 9:16am
I use plain flour 2x tsp ofbaking powder to 1x cup of flour I had a cafe and made 3x baches each day .

grandma, Oct 9, 9:37am
I agree with elliehen's comments too - I always use plain flour and baking powder for my scones.

gardie, Oct 9, 6:03pm
I use plain flourwith 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder per cup.I find that 2 teaspoons gives it that self raising flavour.2 tbsp milk powder. Grate in your butter - do not rub in then stir in water;1/2 the qty of flour - ie 2 heaped cups flour, 1 cup water.220degrees11 minutes.Lovely crunchy scones.Do not cover to cool.Crunchier when hot.Made them yesterday with a touch of sugar and a cup of sultanas - most scrummy.

annie.nz, Oct 10, 4:32am
In response to my husband's whinging about metallic tasting scones, I've recently changed from using baking powder and plain flour to using baking soda and cream of tartar with plain flour, since baking powder can leave a metallic taste.Apparently some people notice it more than others.

I must say, the scones taste much better now - I was quite surprised at the difference in taste.

For each tsp baking powder, substitute 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda.Put into sifter with flour.I also stir the sifted flour mix with a whisk a few times to distribute it evenly.

peterbk, Oct 10, 8:11am
I also intensly dislike the baking powder tatse in lots of scone recipes.
I use a recipe with buttermilk, which means that you can use far less raising agent to make lovely scones.

Buttermilk scones
3 cups of standard flour (not high grade bread flour)
1 1/4 tsp baking Soda
1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
50 gm grated butter rubbed into dry ingredients
lightly mix in 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
tip onto bench, pat into shape, cut into 9 squares
Put on a cold tray
Place in oven preheated to 225 deg C
Bake 10 - 12 minutes

infinityjrc, Oct 11, 9:41am
Thanks for these excellent posts on this topic has anyone used the supernatural foods alterantive to baking powder made by Thompsons foods in Henderson in scones or other baking just wondering how the mixture would compare to normal baking powder in terms of raising the product and the taste!

guest, Oct 21, 9:01pm
love pancakes made with baking powder but not self raising flour due to the after taste. Can't find out why this happens and was hoping for an answer on google. Please I am not the only person who dislikes the dry taste