Recipes for using a Tagine dish for cooking

deepee5, Apr 4, 9:25pm
I have been looking for a recipe book that uses the interesting conical-topped tagine dish, but have not had a lot of luck. Does anyone know of such a book, or have recipes, please? Thanks.

margyr, Apr 4, 9:49pm
had never heard of them, but did a google search and there seem to be recipes there, i googled, tagine dish recipes. good luck.

buzzy110, Apr 4, 10:37pm
TAGINE OF FISH AND PRESERVED LEMON:

For the Chermoula Marinade:
1 cup Flat Leaf Parsley - chopped
1 cup Fresh Coriander - chopped
1 Preserved Lemon - flesh only (skin used with the fish)
4 Cloves Garlic - crushed
2 tsp Hot Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 generous pinches Saffron - soak 10mins in 2tbspns boiling water
1 tsp Ground Ginger
½ tsp salt

Put the Parsley, Coriander, Preserved Lemon flesh and Garlic in a processor and blend. Place this paste in a bowl and add the Paprika, cumin Saffron, Ginger and Salt. Mix together.

For the Tagine:
1. 2kg Kingfish/hapuka or other firm fleshed fish
300g Carrots
300g waxy Potatoes - like Desiree
300g ripe, acid free or Roma Tomatoes
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 heaped Tbsp slice Almonds and Coriander for garnish
A med sized tagine dish or oven dish

Cut the fish into 6 portions and rub with the Chermoula all over
Peel & slice Carrots
Peel & quarter Tomatoes
Peel and slice Potatoes
Slice Preserved Lemon Skin
Lay the carrots on bottom of Tagine, then the Chermoula covered Fish, then Preserved Lemon Skin strips, then the Potatoes and lastly the Tomatoes, all in a beautiful design
Pour over the olive oil
Put on the lid
Bake @ 180C or simmer on the stove top for 45 mins

Serve sprinkled with grilled sliced almonds and fresh coriander

buzzy110, Apr 4, 10:41pm
Notes:Tagine style cooking comes from Turkey where they use lots of preserved lemons. The flavour of preserved lemons and fresh lemons are quite different so aim for the preserved lemon over fresh. Also, as they are quite salty, don't add too much extra salt.

This style of cooking is also one where food is always presented in a way that is pleasing to the eye and Turkish people always place food in the tagine carefully, so that when it comes out and is put on the table and the lid removed the food looks beautiful.

buzzy110, Apr 4, 10:53pm
Preserved Lemons:
There are plenty of recipes for making these on the net but here is how I do mine.
INGREDIENTS:
Lemons - scrubbed to remove wax and any pesticide residue if not using those picked from your own trees
Sea Salt (don't use iodised)
A litre size Agee Jar with seal and screw band (I use double that size with rubber ring, glass lid and metal sealing unit)
Lemons for juicing
Hot water - For dissolving more salt into then cooled

Method
Slice lemon from top to halfway mark
Turn lemon over and a ¼ turn round and slice through to halfway again. (I also do that same cut both sides to make ¼ wedges but not necessary)
Now put liberal amounts of salt into the cuts and put into jar
Keep doing this till jar is full. You can sort of squash the lemons in
Pour in lemon juice and top up with brine
Seal lid and give a shake or two to mix up the brine and lemon juice
Put away in fridge. Use in about 3 months.

Once you discover preserved lemon juice in your cuisine you will want to use them in everything.

Please don't ask me about quantities. I just do this by feel and logic. The salt will always preserve the lemons if you use enough but there is no need to use too much. When you take out a lemon or part of a lemon, always make sure that the remaining lemons are pushed beneath the liquid in the jar.

The feel of the lemons is slightly slimy and the brine will go whitish. Be assured that this is perfectly normal in some salt fermented foods. Just make sure you always reseal your jar every time, tightly and that your remaining lemons are pushed under the brine.

cookessentials, Apr 4, 11:34pm
Tagines are North African and the conical style dish creates moisture that drips back into the food and makes it beautifully tender. A really good author of Tagine cooking is Ghillie Basan - there are two goodies, one called "Tagine" and the second is "Flavours of Morrocco"
Tagine is the name of the dish as well as the name of the dishh it is cooked in. The taste is quite superior to a standard "casserole" and lamb tagine done in the Morroccan style is delicious. Some tagines are for stove top and oven use and some just for oven use. The Emille Henry range of tagines can be used both on stovetop or in the oven.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 1:07am
you're going to cook in the tagine, start the recipe in a frying pan and transfer contents to the tagine base, as indicated below. Recipe adapted from Tagine: Spicy Stews from Morocco, by Ghillie Basan. Serves 4, with couscous.

1-2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp blanched almonds
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
A thumb-size piece of ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
A pinch of saffron threads
2 cinnamon sticks
1-2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 lb boneless leg of lamb, or boneless lamb shanks, cubed
12 pitted prunes, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, drained
6 dried apricots, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, drained
3-4 strips orange peel
1-2 Tbsp agave nectar or dark honey
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Handful of flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves, for garnish

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven, stir in the almonds, and cook until they turn golden. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until they begin to color (do not burn the garlic). Stir in the ginger, saffron, cinnamon sticks and coriander seeds. Add the lamb, making sure it is coated in the onion and spices, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.

If you are using a frying pan, transfer everything to the base of a ceramic tagine.

Pour in enough water to just cover the meat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to lowest simmer, cover the tagine or Dutch oven, and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Add the prunes, apricots and orange peel, cover the tagine again, and simmer 15-20 minutes. Stir in the agave or honey, salt and pepper, cover, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce turns syrupy and slightly caramelized, but not dry. Stir in the parsley or cilantro, and serve with couscous or bread.