Pulling out kitchen and trying to meal plan

dec1066, Feb 13, 9:09pm
The walls have to come out and everything so it's going to be a few weeks or longer! I have a bbq, deep fryer, microwave (which i usually just use for reheating and defrosting), rice cooker, electric frying pan and a crockpot. So I'm looking for ideas please. I've thought of the usual bbqs chips and salad, and casseroles and rice. But that's going to get boring. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

daisyk, Feb 13, 9:36pm
When we updated our kitchen last year, I just made "one pot" dinners in my electric fry pan which worked really well.We had access to a small sink, bench and water, thank goodness.
I found it really difficult trying to do a salad / vegetables etc.Be kind to yourself

beaker59, Feb 13, 10:04pm
Only thing missing is the oven so can't see much of an issue really.Biggest issue I had when doing mine was storage of all the cooking stuff so I bought a cheap flat pack pantry from the warehouse it now lives in the workshop as a storage unit.

dec1066, Feb 13, 10:12pm
Kitchen sink is comming out, so washing dishes and draining anything (not that I will have an element to cook anything on) is going to be a pain in the but.It has just also occured to me that whilst I have quite a few appliances plugging them in might be interesting.

beaker59, Feb 13, 10:18pm
for my sink I balanced the old sink on two of the old cabinets in the carport I had a 20L bucket underneath to drain into and the hose with a trigger connection on the end which seemed to work OK basically I moved into the carport a multiboard worked fine really for plugging everything into the fridge was fine out there. It was like camping at home

beaker59, Feb 13, 10:22pm
For elements you can get cheap cast Iron gas rings from the warehouse or beg borrow or steal a camping cooker from someone. I was lucky to have a two burner one otherwise pots go Ok on the BBQ just be sur to protect any plastic handles.

there are also other techniques like steaming vegetables in foil packets on the BBQ though I guess you can do that in the Microwave too.

dec1066, Feb 13, 10:24pm
Oh, for a carport (or even off street parking). That's a really good idea though. I wonder if we could set something up on the back deck.don't know about the house. I'm going to play around with that idea. Thank you :)

dec1066, Feb 13, 10:24pm
Oh, for a carport (or even off street parking). That's a really good idea though. I wonder if we could set something up on the back deck.don't know about the hose. I'm going to play around with that idea. Thank you :)

dec1066, Feb 13, 10:29pm
Light bulb moment. I think I've seen on TV some glad bag things or something that you throw veges in and steam in the microwave! Or are they prepacked frozen ones!

dec1066, Feb 13, 10:40pm
I've just had a look at Countdown. There is a whole range of prepacked steam in the microwave veges, even mashed potatoes! Whether or not the family would eat it is a different issue.

raewyn64, Feb 13, 11:58pm
I have a recipe for an electric frypan - might be a bit basic though.
Fry some mince and sausages. I then cut up the sausages into bite sizes.
Throw in a packet of dried pasta - I use spirals. Then a tin of tomato soup plus about the same quantity in water an let it all boil away until the pasta has cooked - you might need to top up the liquid.
I throw in some frozen peas and corn at the end as well.
It only uses the frypan which is really good.

dec1066, Feb 14, 12:07am
That sounds a bit like a sort of spag bol with the pasta cooked in with the sauce. Thank you I'm going to give it a go :)

@ daisyk Thanks I am going to try and make it as easy as possible (paper plates and plastic cups and the Entertainment book might get a bit of a thrashing :)

camper18, Feb 14, 12:39am
We were fortunate enough to have a large conservatory between the house and garage ,so we moved some of the old kitchen cabinets in there with the gas ring bbq and various appliances, used water from the laundry and power from the garage. Lived there for 3 months over winter and loved it.
Use the TM recipe forum to get great ideas for meals, you will be surprised what you'll find.

uli, Feb 14, 5:30am
When I did our kitchen I did it in summer. Everything (including the sink and the fridge went onto the deck (which is covered with a roof) outside the house.

Then I took 3 months over summer to do the floor, varnish it, then build the furniture and put it in, then build a foundation for the wood stove and put it in . then wall paper and paint the walls and ceiling . all the while living and eating on the deck.

It was very lovely that summer (must do it again).

And no - I didn't have any electric fry pans, rice cookers or crockpots then or any other gadgets, just a two burner gas stove.

And there was no problem cooking anything I wanted - no need for any special recipes either LOL :)

So what do you envisage you cannot cook!
Maybe I can tell you how to do it anyway!