Venison recipes without wine, please

zuggle, Feb 10, 12:09am
What is a substitute (that you have actually tried or know is proven) for using red wine in a venison recipe, please! I aim to crockpot it really slooooooow.(not today, it's still thawing)
Or do you have a great recipe without wine! Many thanks.

davidt4, Feb 10, 12:26am
This would work very well with stewing venison instead of beef.In a slow cooker you wouldn't need to add any water:

Beef, Leek and Vinegar Stew (French)

3 large leeks in thick slices
2 tab olive oil
700g stewing beef in large chunks
1 tsp salt
pepper
4 tab balsamic vinegar
750 ml water

Brown beef in oil, add leeks and stir 5 min.Add salt and pepper.

Add vinegar and stir to deglaze, gradually add 500 ml water.Cover and simmer about 3 hours until the meat is very tender.Add more water if necessary.

chatsmom, Feb 10, 12:50am
Vincon by Prenzel is a great wine substitute.

darlingmole, Feb 10, 12:52am
my brother uses coke-a-cola of all things!

mwood, Feb 10, 2:22am
you sound like an egg eating vegetarian - the alcohol evaporates only the esters of the wine remain

beaker59, Feb 10, 2:42am
Some people just don't want booze in the house for all sorts of reasons!

I sometimes use plum jam, or any red berries, black currents are good. Another good substitute would be Tamarind though most recipes you can just leave it out.

zuggle, Feb 10, 2:54am
Thanks for the totally wrong assumption, I eat practically everything and I'm aware of the evaporation aspect, but do not want wine in my food. My choice and my meal.

zuggle, Feb 10, 2:56am
Thanks everybody and beaker this sounds good - I wonder about cranberry jam/sauce!

beaker59, Feb 10, 3:01am
Cranberry sounds good if thats what you have. Just watch you aren't adding too much sugar with the fruit, though a bit is good. Just remembered too my MIL uses grape juice

Davidt's recipe sounds really good too I will keep the balsamic idea in the back of my head for next time.

zuggle, Feb 10, 3:13am
David's recipe does sound good, doesn't it! Thank you David, I've copied it down as we've been given so much venison the two of us are going to need different recipes so we don't get sick of it. I plan on freezing some of course. Red grape juice would be perfect, thank you beaker!

rainrain1, Feb 10, 5:07am
Tomato paste is good with venison,

zuggle, Feb 10, 11:59pm
Thanks rainrain, but my man is not fussed on anything that's too tomatoey, so I think I'll try the red grapejuice with first lot. Thanks for your help.

zuggle, Feb 11, 5:22am
Is Vincon truly non-alcoholic! Or just hardly any.