Chicken thighs skin and bone on

mattdylan, Feb 7, 9:44pm
I have lots of chicken thighs but the skin and bones are still in, is it hard to get these off!

lavender32, Feb 7, 10:15pm
Can be a bit of a pain to de-bone. Just brown & casserole in a tin of Italian tomatoes for an hour.

beaker59, Feb 7, 10:31pm
debone and peel the skin off, cut into strips about finger sized and then squeeze some lemon juice over. stir and let marinate for a while (1/2 hour is good) then sqeeze the liquid out and add a beaten egg with plenty of salt mix well then dip the chicken strips in breadcrumbs fry til golden in butter/oil mix

sarahb5, Feb 7, 10:33pm
Leave the bone in - it adds to the flavour - but take the skin off, that's pretty easy to do

iriegirl, Feb 8, 1:42am
I agree with sarahb5, much more flavour. I use them quite a bit as they are often around $8 per kg. I have recipes for Turkish apricot chicken, mexican chicken and a west indian curry recipe thatI use the thighs in, I can post them for you if you'd like!

nfh1, Feb 8, 1:44am
I would love your Turkish Apricot one please iriegirl - I have some thighs in the freezer and trying to think of something more exciting to do than throw them on the BBQ.

mattdylan, Feb 8, 2:35am
Iriegirl yes thanks I would like your mexican chicken recipe, I bought these for $4.99 a kilo ! so cheap

iriegirl, Feb 8, 3:17am
nfh1, here's the turkish chicken, lots of ingredients but so very worth it! I have also pt this into my cast iron dutch oven and finished off in the oven.
Turkish apricot chicken
1/ 2 t sea salt
2 t ground cumin
1 t dried chilli flakes
2 t ground cinnamon
2 t ground coriander seeds
1 t freshly ground black pepper
2 t ground turmeric
1 kg chicken thighs, bone in
100ml olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 T fresh ginger, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, bruised
2 green chillies, split lengthways
2 T tomato paste
2 pinches saffron threads
5 thyme sprigs
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 T honey
250g dried apricots, diced
200ml white wine
2 chicken stock cubes
Shelled pistachio nuts
Fresh mint, to garnish
Couscous, to serve
Natural yoghurt, to serve
Put sea salt, cumin, chilli flakes, cinnamon, coriander, pepper and turmeric in a large plastic bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.Heat oil in a large heavy-based pan over a high heat, add chicken and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add onion, ginger, garlic and chilli and cook for 3 minutes. Add tomato paste, saffron, thyme, lemon zest and juice, honey, apricots and wine. Stir, bring to a simmer, then return chicken to pan. Add stock cubes and just enough water to cover chicken. Cover and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Uncover, simmer for a further 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through and sauce is slightly reduced. Stir in pistachio nuts, reserving a few. Garnish with mint and reserved nuts. Serve with couscous and yoghurt.
Source "Better homes & gardens" (and adapted slighlty)

iriegirl, Feb 8, 3:26am
mattdylan heres the mexican chicken, if you quite like the heat, up the chilli to suit.
Pollo rojo (Mexican red chicken)
4 red capsicums
Cooking oil spray
8 skinless chicken thighs (on the bone)
2 T plain flour
Salt and pepper, to season
1 t chilli flakes
1 t ground cumin
2 t smoked paprika
2 t dried oregano
2 T tomato paste
400g can diced tomatoes (Mexican is good!)
2 cups chicken stock
Parsley leaves, to garnish
Rice or cooked orzo to serve
Preheat oven to 200ºC. Spray capsicums with cooking oil and roast on an oven rack for 45 minutes or until lightly blackened. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool. Remove skin and seeds, then slice flesh. Dust chicken in flour and season with salt and pepper. Set a large frying pan over a medium heat and spray lightly with cooking oil. Fry chicken pieces for 4 minutes or until sealed, then transfer to a casserole dish. Add spices, oregano, tomato paste, tomato and stock to dish, then bake for 30 minutes. Reduce oven to low, then cook for a further 30 minutes or until sauce thickens. Fold in capsicum, garnish with parsley, then serve on rice or orzo.

nfh1, Feb 8, 3:55am
Thank you so much iriegirl - guess what is for dinner on Friday!

buzzy110, Feb 8, 3:58am
Cool recipe beaker and one that I am keen to try. Thanks.

mattdylan, Feb 8, 8:49pm
Thanks for the recipes! Mad Butcher has chicken thighs for $4.99 a kilo this week, stock up!

beaker59, Feb 8, 8:56pm
You could also do what I do for myself which is dip in the egg but don't dip in the breadcrumbs (carbs ) and straight in a hot pan don't overcook and for a more chickeny flavour I render down the skins and cook in chicken fatwhich is a double win as you also get crispy fried chicken skin mmmmmmmmmmmm

accroul, Feb 9, 5:34am
Cook the chicken with the skin ON. if you absolutely HAVE to take the skin off, do so after cooking. It will be more succulent.