How do you cold smoke garlic

johne21, Feb 6, 2:44am
Wanting to give this a go but have read a lot of people have problems getting the smoke flavor into the cloves of garlic.Anyone out there that has smoked garlic successfully.

fisher, Feb 6, 3:20am
Bay leaves and rosemary go very well with garlic.I peel "most" of the outer off the garlic but leave it whole.I have a bay tree and dry the leaves and also strip rosemary leaves and do the same.They are dried to the point of being 'crisp" but are still green. these are combined and then blitzed in a ninja machine .on a 5 rosemary to 1 bay leaf ratio.this is then mixed into the manuka sawdust for the smoking.
I have a smoke cannon for cold smoking but still fire up the burners with the same mixture in the hopper.the garlic bulbs are set on top of sparse rosemary sprigs.right in front of the cannon.
I also smoke eggs at the top of the smoker at the same time using the same process.then use them as normal. eg: crack open and fry up or scramble or boil.then use in salads etc etc.just something different.:]]These need to be away from heat for obvious reasons. :}

johne21, Feb 6, 3:56am
Thanks fisher, how long do you smoke the bulbs of garlic! I have a smoke canon also. Does the smoke flavor get right into the cloves!

fisher, Feb 6, 5:54am
The ideal cold smoke for garlic and herbs is 2-3 days. filling the cannon up every 2 hours is not my style . and thats a LOT of beers to skull everytime you fill it up.LOL.so I run it for about 5-6 hours.about 3 fills the longer the better and the hopper with heat twice. any heat will enable you to squeeze the garlic out as it will be soft with a subtle flavour.commercial garlic is smoked for 3-4 days.