Bread Gone Wrong!

androssi, Feb 4, 8:12pm
I have a Breville Bakers Oven bread maker and I can't cook a decent loaf of bread in it. Weighs a ton when finished and has not risen properly. My friend sAid that Breville receipes are not correct. The dough programme seems ok for Foccacias etc but cooking the full loaf sucks! Any hints!

ant_sonja, Feb 4, 9:14pm
Sorry, can't help with the bread maker machine at all, so easy tho to make bread by hand. If you don't want to use hands for kneading, still use your machine for that part, take dough out, place into a greased bowl, cover and leave to rise in room temp until doubled in size - gently remove dough and place onto a lined baking tray (or use a bread tin if you have one). If no tin, use your hands and gently form a loaf shape, make sure any dough seams/folds are tucked in underneath. Leave to rest again for another 45 min (or longer is ok too. Can even pop into fridge overnight), then place into hot oven (200-220) to bake. Time will depend on the size of the bread, to check if cooked, the bottom of the loaf will sound hollow if tapped. Some recipes will tell you to punch your dough down after the first rising period but it removes all the lovely air which will give you a much lighter crumb.

skippie1, Feb 4, 10:29pm
Androssi, I use my basic recipe that I got from my Sanyo machinein my Breville , here it is, 1 cup and 2 tablesp of water that is warmer then just luke warm, 3 and 1/4 cup flour, 1 teasp salt, 1 tablesp sugar, 1 tablesp milk powder, 1 tablesp gluten,1 big table margarine or soft butter, make sure that the salt and sugar do not meet in the pan, 3 teasp Surebake yeast, make it as a large bread with a light crust. Do not use the basic white setting but the next one up. Use one that gives a longer rising time for the yeast.

dwyn5, Feb 4, 10:35pm
I have one of the new Panasonic b/makers.I do not make up the flour mix as per recipe book but instead use the premix found at Binn Inn or Simply Foods, just over 500 grams,3 heaped tspn measures of Tasti Breadmaker Yeast and just over 300mls of tepid water.Perfect white loaf every time and I also make the occassional fruit bread using their sweet flour mix.

pickles7, Feb 4, 11:01pm
Bin Inn, sells bread improver, I used 1 teaspoon of that along with sure to rise yeast, it never failed me.

nickyd, Feb 4, 11:05pm
I had some issues with my Breville too.I did note that the measurements given were Australian and (I think) their Tablespoon is a different size to ours -had to go and a separate measuring spoon set from an Australian retailer - ( Spotlight).Still never reallygot consistent results though- in the end sold it and bought a Panasonic - just great!

grandma, Feb 5, 12:37am
I have answered this in the past re Breville bread maker recipes using Australian measurements and not New Zealand.Once you use the proper ones you never look back.Let me know if you want any further info.

grandma, Feb 5, 1:17am
Yes Kinna - I especially recommend the French Bread one - it and the other are from the book that Breville sent me years ago when I rang them about not having any success with the Australian one.I make it every second day (for me and my better half) - yummy!

bunny51, Feb 5, 4:26am
I have had a breville breadmaker in the past and these are the adjustments that hte supliment reconnended. (WHen I got mine it came with a suppliment for NZ) the tablespoons in the recipe book are 20 ml where as the NZ tablespoon is 15 ml, Also use a breadmaker yeast with improvers (Such as Edmonds Sure bake yeast or tastie breadmaker yeaast (as opposed to the yeast mentioned in the recipe manual) Use 1 teaspoon of yeast per cup of flour. Just add with flour but keep apart from the salt and sugar. You don't need to use bread improvers when you use sure bake as surebake has th eimprovers in it. There are also books that have been written in NZ and will work in the breadmaker. Alison Holst hasa boook and there is a series which was written by George Daly a few years ago.

camper18, Feb 5, 7:40pm
Hi androssi, I had all sorts of problems with my breville until i followed Kinna54's advice and recipe except that I use both yeast and improver from Binn Inn now and no longer have a problemThe french bread setting makes a huge difference.

korbo, Feb 5, 8:00pm
used this recipe for about 10yrs in my breville.
300ml warm water
2 tblspn oil (any sort or butter)
2 teasp sugar
1.1/2 teas salt
3 cups flour,
2 tblesp milk powder
3 teasp yeast -RED LID jar
put all in bread basket in that order and i just use basic cook.
It is a lovely soft loaf, and I often add other things as well.
good luck.
PLEASE do try it and let us know.

guest, Dec 4, 9:05am
Was wondering if anyone has a Spicy Fruit Loaf recipe from the old Breville breadmaker book - I absolutely loved it but can no longer have the recipe. I know some of the ingredients but can't quite remember the quantites. Any help greatly appreciated. I remember it has Bran, sultanas and apricots.