Lamingtons made with jelly?

Page 1 / 2
mattdylan, Jan 22, 9:13pm
Anyone tried this recipe with jelly instead of icing! I want to make pink ones and found a recipe using strawberry jelly, so you dunk the sponge in the jelly then roll in coconut, keen to hear your thoughts thanks

wheelz, Jan 22, 9:20pm
yes.let the jelly thicken a little before dunking. Easy to do.

kaddiew, Jan 22, 9:34pm
I haven't made them in years, but recall chilling/partly freezing the sponge cubes to make it easier to dunk without bits breaking away.

flo16, Jan 22, 9:34pm
Use cold jelly,just a quick dip and roll in coconut,serve with a blob of whipped cream on top or split and fill with cream,wonderful memories here my dear Mum made these regularly---probably a good 50 years or so ago so ya for a revival!

griffo4, Jan 22, 10:14pm
freeze your sponge and then take it out of the freezer as you go to use it and cut into size you want and dunk in jelly and into coconut
that way the lamington doesn't soak up all the jelly

l have made all different coloured ones including yellow for daffodil day and l use a little less water to get a thicker jelly

eastie3, Jan 22, 10:22pm
Plus,a lamington is much better dipped in jelly,the icing version is wrong

kiwitrish, Jan 22, 10:41pm
Have to agree with you there.

gilligee, Jan 22, 11:51pm
Have only ever dipped them in jelly. Never heard of using icing.

babytears, Jan 23, 12:10am
For raspberry I use jelly. for chocolate flavored I make a runny icing. they're great!

summah63, Jan 23, 4:45am
Add citric acid to the jelly, brings out the flavour.

nzl99, Jan 23, 4:52am
If I never see another lamington, I will be happy! Haha. We do "lemongtons". Do a lemon sponge base, roll in lemon jelly and then use long thread coconut. Leave to set in fridge for around 20 mins.

kiwigoldie, Jan 23, 5:33am
the jelly consistency is better when it is starting to set a little like egg white consistency all wobbly buy still unsetish.then working quickly cut frozen sponge into peices.into the jelly.and into the coconut.then into a container and back into fridge.when they are chilled or refrozen I gladwrap individually and then return to freezer.ideal for a lunchbox treat.

lodgelocum, Jan 23, 6:40am
I made Lime Jelly ones recently but didn't let the jelly set enough, the liquid soaked the sponge too much, they were horrible.Must try again and let the jelly set longer.

pickles7, Jan 23, 6:58am
Raspberry dip. melt two pkts of raspberry jelly in 2 cups of boiling water*** set***melt over hot water. Dip frozen sponge squares into jelly, toss in coconut, set on rack to dry. enjoy
By setting the jelly, then melting it you get a better colour. Jelly these days may need a bit more anyway.

jaybee6, Jan 23, 8:18am
The icing version is the correct way (traditional) and the best in my eyes.

falcon-hell, Jan 23, 8:30am
i asked my uncle who was abaker for years and years about the chocolate lamingtons and he said originally they were dipped in a thin choc icing,then it changed to the way it is now,he couldn't quite remember how to make it-which is a bummer cos i would love to know,i did aska t a bakery and they buy the coating in big bags and add liquid to it,so if anyone knows!

pickles7, Jan 23, 9:01pm
It is a Bakels product.
You can buy bulk raspberry jelly, at Bin Inn,

momma1, Jan 24, 4:45am
traditionally lamingtons have been made with jelly for the raspberry ones and thin chocolate icing for the chocolate ones.

jazzryn, Jan 24, 8:23am
Jelly cakes.daughter has made them for years and she is only 30, she makes her own sponge drops for them also, they are so nice. Always have them for xmas.

ant_sonja, Jan 24, 8:27am
a little off topic but can you freeze lamingtons once dipped in jelly!

pickles7, Jan 24, 8:58am
If you want to, they thaw out well.ant_sonja .

malcovy, Jan 24, 9:04am
Creamed lamingtons freeze exceptionally well and are fantastic to have in freezer, just don't let hubby or kids know.

murdoc4, Jan 26, 3:29am
Made some few weeks back, but made my sponges in the regular muffin tins.No crumbs and they went a long way.Dipped in raspberry jelly but will add less water to enhance flavour more, I added a tsp of rasp ess to make it taste stronger.

flower-child01, Jan 28, 8:43pm
You can use this to make Lemon Lamington, and place lemon curd along with cream in the slit. Yumm.
http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/lamingtons/

punkinthefirst, Jan 29, 12:06am
Ah, lamingtons!