Best way to cook Flounder?

Page 1 / 2
shaanpi, Jan 22, 5:43am
Hello, what are your fav Flounder recipes please. I did a search and found nothing. Not quite sure how to cook it. In the frying pan with salt n pepper and lemon! or in cream! your suggestions please. Thank you in Advance.

beaker59, Jan 22, 5:59am
Simple way is to just dust in flour then fry in pan using half butter half oil. I like a reasonably hot pan so the fins are crispy and edible.

The really big ones I fillet then deep fry in a tempura style batter. that is really yummy.

Serve on a plate with lemon wedges and I generally serve two plates the whole flounder on one and chips or mash and salad on the other.

kinna54, Jan 22, 5:59am
In the frying pan as suggested. Flour it first.

mrs-mex, Jan 22, 6:22am
My kids like it baked in cream

gabbysnana, Jan 22, 6:29am
Blrk its not trout!

beaker59, Jan 22, 6:46am
I have done that too for dinner parties it can be very effective. Though have to say I would seriously miss those crispy fins.

shaanpi, Jan 22, 7:43am
In the frying pan seems to have the most votes. May try the baked in cream another time I do remember my father cooking it like that once can not remember eating it though. Thanks again everyone.

fisher, Jan 22, 7:57am
Fisher's Flounder.Cook belly side first
Ingredients.:
1 cleaned flounder per person.rosemary . salt.flour . 2 spring onions.parsley.slivered almonds . lemon . butter/oil.
Method.:
Sauce:In butter, cook spring onions, chopped parsley and 2 tbsp of slivered almonds. Add juice and grated rind of half a lemon .
Finely chop rosemary and add to flour with a little salt. .Dredge each flounder and fry gently in oil and butter mix on both sides.
Once browned, pour a little sauce over each flounder.

dante055, Jan 22, 8:00am
ewwwwwwwwww.don't sauce it.flour,butter and lemon is all you need.mmmmmmmm yummy

juliewn, Jan 22, 8:04am
Lightly floured, then into slightly sizzling butter. lower side up (so upper side is up when served) . turn once.slide out onto plates and serve with lemon wedges. doesn't take long. tastes truly delicious. Can also be done on a bbq in the same way.

fisher, Jan 22, 8:05am
ohhh. so you have tried my flounder with sauce dish before have you.or are you talking from inexperience and dont know any better.:}

dante055, Jan 22, 8:10am
lol.na i just figured you don't like flounder,. so drown it ;)

fisher, Jan 22, 8:46am
Oh dear. best you tell "Rick Stein" that he drowns his flounder. It's one of his recipes. but then your the type of person who wouldn't even know who Rick Stein is.LOL:]

glenleigh, Jan 22, 8:59am
I do mine in the microwave.Depending on the size of the flounder, just on a plate usually 2 - 3 minutes each side.Easy to test if cooked, delicious.We only ever add lemon juice when eating.

beaker59, Jan 22, 9:42am
I liked his dog, sparky! He certainly knows his fish and thay have heaps of very good flatfish varieties up there.

shop-a-holic, Jan 22, 9:50am
Chalky was the name of the dog. RIP

fisher, Jan 22, 10:08am
beaker59.loved all his shows.down to simple tasty recipes.has a good style.love his recipe books. most used in this household.
Caught many many a flounder and simply dusted up and cooked till those fins go crispy.half a lemon to the side ::}but sometimes you come across something that's a bit different and really nice for a change. I just hate purists that think there is ONLY way to eat them.(like mussels.scallops and oysters.).Reckon Chalky was the star of the show sometimes.hahahaha

deus701, Jan 22, 11:12am
i like it deep fried crispy and then with a spicy sambal sauce with fresh tomatoes poured on top

fisher, Jan 22, 11:29am
do you make the sauce.!and how so !

lythande1, Jan 22, 6:45pm
I hate flounder stuck in a pan full of bones.
I fillet them first. And yes, husband said oh you can't fillet flounders.no idea why, easier than most to fillet actually. Once I did it, he won't go back to the skeleton in a pan method now.

rainrain1, Jan 22, 6:56pm
Whole or filleted, either way is delish, pan fried with a bit of butter/oil

beaker59, Jan 22, 7:47pm
I definately fillet the big ones, and yes it is easy as, because the skeleton is very flat so a sharp knife just slides across it. like I said in the beginning deep fried fillet strips in tempura batter are just awesome.

But those little ones you see in the shops I just can't get past the crispy fins mmmmmmmmmmmmmm gotta cook those whole.

beaker59, Jan 22, 7:50pm
+1 I like to play and don't ever get fixated on ONE method you restrict yourself too much in life when your toes are to firmly stuck in one spot.

rainrain1, Jan 22, 9:34pm
I think we all like to try something different with food on occasions.but sometimes less is more

peterlap1, Jan 22, 11:04pm
It's great pan fried after filletting it.