"Spoon" canapes/nibbles for event

patsprat, Jan 19, 4:02am
I am searching for ideas for little savoury tastes served on those asian style spoons, something that is easy to assemble and eat but with maximum flavour. So far I am considering a sort of prawn salad with chopped prawns on a tiny salad with asian flavoured dressing. Does anyone have any ideas!Not oysters though.Look forward to your clever ideas.

vintagekitty, Jan 19, 4:35am
do you mean like sliders!. Americans refer to mini burgers as sliders, but you can use any type of canape type food

tinabops, Jan 19, 4:51am
Went to a wedding and they had the spoons with hummus topped with chives, some had smoked salmon and some just with tomato on top.easy and colourful mixture.

Steam scollops or mussels in the spoons,topped with thin strips of ginger, lightly salt.When cooked sprinkle with chopped chives and a shake of light soya sauce.

davidt4, Jan 19, 4:56am
Having been the victim of spoon canapes rather a lot recently my advice is to reconsider.Asian spoon-food takes some co-ordination to eat in that you have to tip your head back, tip the contents of the spoon into your mouth and try not to dribble any of the liquid.People make an awful mess of their best clothes, especially if they have a glass of wine in their other hand.

Oysters or other raw shellfish are about the only food that is suitable.Everything else sticks to the spoon and is impossible to eat neatly unless you can fit the entire spoon in your mouth.Anything with mayo is too sticky, anything with a vinaigrette is too runny.

eastie3, Jan 19, 5:57am
How true,I'm rueing the messy display I made of myself just before Christmas,afterwards I looked like I was just learning to eat independently and needed a good wipe down.Oysters with balsamic was the culprit.

patsprat, Jan 19, 5:58am
Yes DavidT, I know what you're saying.It's a fine balance between slippy and sloppy!However as I have 36 of these spoon things I'd like to find some way of using them.(Mostly I use them for sweet things, i.e. a little scoop of ice cream or sorbet with a collection of sweet finger foods .)
Ah well, back to the recipe books!Thanks for your comments.

lodgelocum, Jan 19, 6:26am
Am sure Masterchef Australia had an episode of serving food on the spoons, think Ellie won with beef! might be able to check it out on their website.

bill241, Jan 19, 7:11am
You could do deconstructed sushi! like with a strip of fresh salmon with a wee tiny cake of cooked, flavoured rice and some pickled ginger, and a garnish like a fancied-up bit of cucumber or something to top it off! All sitting in the spoon to gulp down

dreamers, Jan 19, 7:27am
I do small chopped pieces of pawpaw and melon,drizzle over Balsamic creme ( thick ) put a prawn on top then top with homemade aoili that has some wasabi added to it .It can be pre made then put together at the last minute.It is a hit every time.

radark, Jan 19, 8:03am
Tahitian fish salad, tuna tartar,

poolgirl6, Jan 19, 7:13pm
I serve salmon mousse with a little aioli on top. Soft and slides off easily.

poolgirl6, Jan 19, 7:15pm
Oh and recently served chopped strawberries, a little sweetened cream cheese(like icing used for carrot cake) and slices of red jelly on top. Fresh and colourful

tjman, Jan 19, 7:19pm
What about scallops.Beach batch boat nn bbq recipe.scallops in chilli lime, corriander butter.

rainrain1, Jan 19, 7:24pm
sounds like it was a fun party :-)))

patsprat, Jan 19, 7:48pm
Thanks for all your suggestions - dreamer, I love the sound of the melon & prawn, that could be it!Tahitian raw fish would be good too, also the scallops. Thanks, away now to search out melons!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 19, 8:00pm
The spoon is just the vessel to serve.

http://www.amuseboucherecipes.com/category/recipes/

dreamers, Jan 19, 8:26pm
Meant to say I use honeydew melon,so you have the green and yellow fruit.it is not messy to eat and lovely flavors .chop the fruit into small pieces and use the thick balsamic to drizzle over.Good luck