Zucchini/Courgette bake - Foodtown Mag Dec10

nat148, Jan 16, 2:00am
I am making this recipe and it has 1/2c of oil - is it going to make much difference if I change that to Milk - thought it would be healthier

babytears, Jan 16, 2:25am
I have no idea sorry. but would absolutely love it if you could put the recipe

mazzy1, Jan 16, 3:02am
I just went down to my vege garden and found 5 Zucchini the same size as zeppelins. I googled this recipe - think I've used it before.
Zucchini Bake
Ingredients (serves 15)
• 5 eggs
• 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
• 375g zucchini, grated
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 200g rindless bacon, chopped
• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
• 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Pick a big old bunch of mesclun - and hey presto! Dinner!

nat148, Jan 16, 3:31am
very similar recipe but only has 1/4 cup of oil and mine has 1/2 and mine has 3/4c sf flour

geldof, Jan 16, 3:56am
It should be fine.
You could increase the cheese a little to add some 'fat'. Or use olive oil! (I do)

Mine is in the oven nearly cooked.
I make a double lot and it's great next day for lunches.
Thank you my chookies.

daleaway, Jan 16, 4:02am
If you want something different, try Martha Stewart's delicious zucchini fritters:

Ingredients

1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon (1 lemon) freshly grated lemon zest
10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and leaves finely chopped, plus more sprigs for garnish (optional)
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini into a medium bowl. Add salt, lemon zest, chopped parsley, garlic, pepper, and eggs. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
3. Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer fritters to a plate; set aside in a warm place. Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to pan if necessary. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired; serve.

mazzy1, Jan 16, 4:06am
Yum - thanks daleaway - these might feature tomorrow night, along with zucchini loaf, zucchini soup, zucchini on toast. etc etc

babytears, Jan 16, 5:01am
YUm. we have zucchini coming out of our ears at the mo. have stuffed zucchini for dinner

motorbo, Jan 16, 5:10am
i make mine without cheese or flour or fat, just eggs a bit of milk, some cooked silverbeet and grated courgettes.and bake.yummmmmm

rainrain1, Jan 16, 6:17am
milk instead of oil will be absolutely fine, when you run out of zucchini, use a cup of broccoli florets instead, very good indeedy

nat148, Jan 16, 7:12pm
I added a grated kumara and it was even better