Ice cream maker prob?

Page 1 / 2
iman007, Jan 15, 3:01am
got given it for xmas, put base in freezer yesterday, made mixture as book says, set machine off, 1 and 1/2 hrs later still runny!
Machine max use is 40 mins, so i took it apart and put the bowl with contents in freezer.Will it set!

rogergayle, Jan 15, 3:11am
we have a sunbeam machine which we find good. Its a bit hard to say wihtout actually seeing mix but it should. Did it increase in mass and get fluffier! I actually make the base "custard" the day before put in fridge over night then mix in machine with flavour the next day. Sometimes too much sugar or alcohol can effect freezing. I can post my own recipe if you like works for us.

knowsley, Jan 15, 3:12am
Should do. I have two ice cream makers, one with the base you put in the freezer, and the other with its own built in freezer unit. Ice cream out of both is never hard and requires a lot more freezing. Usually comes out sloppy from the machine, but not runny. Did you cool the mix down - I usually put it in the fridge for a few hours to assist.

lodgelocum, Jan 15, 3:52am
i can only suggest perhaps your custard base wasn't cooked enough!Its a fine balance between just right or turning into scrambled eggs.

iman007, Jan 15, 6:57am
thanx guys, just got home, will go check, can you post your recipe please,also eggs were not cooked! i put 2 whole eggs in with cream milk and sugar.

eileenc2, Jan 15, 9:34am
I also make sure the mixture is well chilled in the fridge before I add it to the machine. The colder everything is the better it works.

falconhell2002, Jan 15, 6:12pm
I leave my base in the freezer all the time and make my custard the day before I want it so that everything is nice and cold.I also find that my ice cream is still softish when finished.But I like it this way, if we wanted to roll it for cones then I would put it in the freezer to finish it off.

bellyatobhs, Jan 15, 10:33pm
Interesting reading this thread i got the sunbeam ice cream maker for xmas I found the recipes that come in the book the best i was annoyed at first that the ice cream didn't come out frozen enough to roll I thought there must have been something wrong with the machine. After a few batches i realised it must be the norm so Im pleased to read that others have found the same. so far I have made mint chip, blackcurrant, boysenberry and chocolate. The boysenberry was devine have to give it a break for awhile now as my hips are starting to groan!

nzhel, Jan 16, 12:15am
I got a Snowy for Xmas and found the first two recipes I tried Peach Sorbet and Lemon Gelato both extremely soft tho the flavour was delicious. Next time I will put the mixture when finished into the freezer to firm up. The Quick Mix Vanilla Ice Cream was better, but still a bit soft tho again the flavour was divine and the Chocolate Ice Cream was the best ever in taste - very rich. With these last two ice creams I made the mixture then put it into the freezer for a while to get it really cold and had more success that way. In both cases tho the ice creamleft over set firmly in the freezer overnight.

lodgelocum, Jan 16, 7:23am
Should only be egg yolks, not whites.

iman007, Jan 16, 8:01am
recipe said whole eggs, thats from the makers instruction book, it has set now so prolly a teething problem,thanks peeps

shop-a-holic, Jan 16, 8:39am
Only egg yolks. My recipe contains 8 of them.

iman007, Jan 17, 6:37am
now im confused, can someone post a failproof recipe to get me started!
cheers

pheebs1, Jan 17, 9:55am
ondensed Milk Ice Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 14 ounce can condensed milk

Beat heavy cream with an electric mixer until it begins to thicken. Add in vanilla and continue beating until a light whipped cream forms. Gradually pour in condensed milk and keep beating until mixture thickens to a nice cream. Put in the freezer for at least four hours.

If adding a can of berries, strain first then stir through before freezing.

liamjosh (274 )7:09 pm, Wed 21 Sep #6

pheebs1, Jan 17, 9:57am
*disclaimer - this is not real ice cream, does not contain eggs*
SO. THE most delicious, easiest ice cream ever. from Allyson Gofton:

"Marks' Icecream"
500 mls cream
1 can condensed milk
3 crunchie bars, chopped

Whip cream till thick. Stir in condensed milk and chopped up Crunchie bars. Pile into freezer container.
Freeze.
If you wish, you can give it a good stir after 2 hours, then return to freezer till solid.

This was a very special ice cream, perfect with strawberries on Xmas day.

lyl_guy (274 )7:21 pm, Wed 21 Sep #10

pheebs1, Jan 17, 9:57am
even thought these are done without mixer i dont see why you couldnt do it in the mixer

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 10:38am
A true ice cream is made from a custard to begin with. As most of us here have experienced, making ice cream is a 3 day process.
All ice cream made in machines, either a freezing unit or bowl, require each of the ingredients to be at their coldest.All bowls start thawing as soon as you take them out of the freezer.
When you are churning ice-cream; the blade is aerating the custard and chilling it a the same time; thus creates a creamy blend with minute pockets of air which float and melt on the tongue.
Most machines/bowls have done their job by approx 15 minutes; and the ice cream will be a consistency of FrostyBoy/Mister Whippy or Soft Serve. The third process involves pouring the mixture into a suitable container, to harden as ice cream in the freezer.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 10:42am
Basic Custard

500mls Cream
500mls Milk (must be full fat Farmhouse Milk; not trim, lite or homogenised)
Split, scrap and add a whole Vanilla Pod (optional).
Scald. This means bring to just under a boil.
Remove from heat, and leave on bench for three hours and leave to infuse.
Strain in a sieve over a pouring jug (just incase you have burnt bits)
Place in fridge and leave overnight.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 10:42am
Basic Custard

500mls Cream
500mls Milk (must be full fat Farmhouse Milk; not trim, lite or homogenised)
Split, scrap and add a whole Vanilla Pod (optional).
Scald. This means bring to just under a boil.
Remove from heat, and leave on bench for three hours and leave to infuse.
Cool completely. Room temp is fine.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 10:59am
In the bowl of a bench top mixer

8 eggs yolks
1 cup of caster sugar
Beat on low speed ( to stop splattering) increasing speed; beat at full speed until mixture is pale; fluffy and tripled in volume. This process cooks the yolks.
Reduce speed and slowly add custard. Again, just to reduce splattering, increase speed and mix thoroughly.
Transfer mixture back to a clean pot, place on a low heat, and increase heat to scale. Not boil.
Remove from heat; strain and place in a fridge for at least 12 hours or overnight.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 10:59am
In the bowl of a bench top mixer

8 eggs yolks
1 cup of caster sugar
Beat on low speed ( to stop splattering) increasing speed; beat at full speed until mixture is pale; fluffy and tripled in volume. This process cooks the yolks.
Reduce speed and slowly add the cooled custard. Again, just to reduce splattering, increase speed and mix thoroughly.
Transfer mixture back to a clean pot, place on a low heat, and increase heat to scald. Not boil.
Remove from heat; strain and place in a fridge for at least 12 hours or overnight.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 11:04am
Next day

Follow the instructions of your ice cream mixture, and churn for 12-15 minutes. Pour soft serve into a container and place in freezer.
This recipe makes 2 litres of ice cream, and I generally use a sistema 2 litre container.

Adding flavours
Most flavours are added to the soft serve 2 minutes before churning has finished.Honeycomb; pistachios; fruit and nuts etc.
This is because the churning has sufficiently cooled and created volume in the custard, and thus additional ingredients will not sink to the bottom of the ice cream, but will be distributed throughout the mixture.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 11:11am
Variations
70% Cocoa Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream

300mls Cream
300mls of Farmhouse Milk
2 whole blocks or 400gms 70% Cocao Chocolate

Break chocolate into single pieces, melt with Cream and Milk. Stir. USE LOW HEAT.
Add split and scraped Vanilla Pod (optional).
Scald.
When cooled, add to egg and sugar process.
**Warning: this is superior to the $20 per litre ice creams on the market today**.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 11:18am
Coconut and Tahitian Lime

Swap out 500mls of Cream for Coconut Cream
500mls Farmhouse Milk
No Vanilla.
Proceed as above.

Zest the skin of 3 limes, and juice 5 of them.
Add lime juice and zest 2 minutes before churning process ends.
Lime Zest and Juice oxidises 10 x faster than lemons; so I advise to add them in the final churning process. They will also curdle any mixture prior to the churning process.
A lesson well learned.

shop-a-holic, Jan 17, 11:22am
Adding Fruit Compotes; Jams; Maple Syrup or Golden etc if you are looking for a "Ripple Ice Cream" effect.

Leave this process until you have poured your churned mixture into a suitable container for the freezer.
Distribute or pour jam/syrup and compotes along the length of the container, and using a spoon, stir or move them, within the ice cream only once. You don't want to mix it all up.

Bless! Off to bed!
Finger prints worn out. :-)