WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE TOMATO SAUCE?

Page 2 / 2
uli, Feb 2, 5:01am
I could share my "best plum sauce ever" recipe if you like (I have done so every year actually LOL)

valentino, Feb 2, 5:03am
Blossoms and is owned by the Boric family, esp that new All Black whom is a member of that family.

Thank you Darlingmole

blackbriar, Feb 2, 5:34am
Wouldn't go past Tuimato here! ! !

falconhell2002, Feb 2, 5:41am
I remember having plum sauce when I was younger, it was really yummy but I have not had it since. Also my granny's homemade tomato sauce was the best. But we also enjoy tuimato sauce and watties homestyle sauce. You can get tuimato at p n' s as well.

darlingmole, Feb 2, 6:05am
haha~! Yes Valentino ... The handsome Anthony Boric is now an All Black with wonderful parents. I can remember seeing him come home after school into the fruit shop and also when I worked at the local rugby club. An awesome family indeed. So I should enquire about the sauce at Blosssoms then?

wayne472, Feb 2, 6:11am
Good on ya its A filthy dirty disease causing habit, the sooner its banned the better!

fester7, Feb 2, 6:14am
Hey Uli next door is a tree of cherry plums free for my picking is it worth trying to make something out of the little fellas? They got plenty of taste but an aweful lot of pip!

sarahb5, Feb 2, 6:41am
Not a fan of commercially produced tomato sauce at all - too acidic for my tastes. Much prefer ketchup - just has a smoother more tomatoey flavour IMHO

uli, Jul 24, 5:45pm
Yep - fantastic :)
Just boil them (with all the additions below) and then put them through a coarse sieve. I use a big stainless one with big holes - and work them through the holes by hand (once cool enough). In the end only the stones are left. Try it out :)

Plum and Chilli Sauce (best of all - made for the last 8 years)

3 kilos dark plums, washed, halved and stoned (firm plums are best),
1. 5 litres (6 cups) of white vinegar,
1 1/2 teaspoons salt,
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic,
1 1/2 teaspoons of crushed dried chilli,
1 teaspoon of ground cloves,
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground ginger,
1 teaspoon of ground allspice,
1 1/2 kilos white sugar,

Place the fruit, salt, garlic, chilli and vinegar into the pan and bring to the simmer, cooking until the fruit is pulpy.

Place the spices into a small bowl and mix to a paste with a small quantity of vinegar then add to the fruit in the pan.

Add the sugar and stir until it is dissolved and the sauce reaches a rolling boil.

Boil, stirring frequently for at least 30 minutes and the sauce thickens slightly.