Help!!! my tomato sauce is too vinegery

jubli, Mar 22, 1:16am
I have just tried a new recipe for tomato sauce and have just tasted it - it tastes too vinegary, I have added another 1/4 cup of brown sugarand now it is starting to get the sweet and sour taste. Any suggestions please?
The recipe has 6kg tomatoes, 4 onions, 2 apples, spices, 1 1/4 litres vinegar and 1 cup brown sugar
Thanks for your help

duckmoon, Mar 22, 1:20am
chutneys and sauces mature with standing...
it might takes better when put into jars and left to stand

lizab, Mar 22, 2:13am
I agree with duckmoon - you should leave sauces and pickles for 6 weeks.

cookessentials, Mar 22, 2:16am
You can add a little sweetness to deuce the vinegar taste. A little sugar, but you will have to tast as you go to get the right taste for you.

babytears, Mar 22, 6:26am
I hear ya, I hear ya.... I was so upset when for the first time my chutney and ketchup was way too vinegary... weeks later that vinegary taste has subsided... as others have said, they get better with time... I promise you that!

kinna54, Mar 22, 6:31am
The brown sugar is the right remedy. As others say, let it stand.

jubli, Mar 23, 1:16am
I have just tried a new recipe for tomato sauce and have just tasted it - it tastes too vinegary, I have added another 1/4 cup of brown sugarand now it is starting to get the sweet and sour taste. Any suggestions please!
The recipe has 6kg tomatoes, 4 onions, 2 apples, spices, 1 1/4 litres vinegar and 1 cup brown sugar
Thanks for your help

duckmoon, Mar 23, 1:20am
chutneys and sauces mature with standing.
it might takes better when put into jars and left to stand

rarogal, Mar 23, 2:02am
And it also tastes far more vinegary hot than it does once it has cooled!

jubli, Mar 23, 2:44am
thank you all for your advice - it tastes better today, so hopefully after it matures for a few weeks it will be OK

babytears, Mar 23, 6:26am
I hear ya, I hear ya. I was so upset when for the first time my chutney and ketchup was way too vinegary. weeks later that vinegary taste has subsided. as others have said, they get better with time. I promise you that!