Tomato sauce, apple and pear chutney

ann7, Mar 12, 2:27am
I am becoming a domestic goddess, using home grown products to preserve just like my mother. i may be the only one that will eat them though. Just made sauce with a very simple recipe, would cut down the sugar next time htough.1kg choppedtomatoes,
1 cup sugar,
1 cup vinegar ( I used malt)
1/2 tbs salt,
1 tsp allspice.
Simmer until reduced , then whizz with the stick, this vaporises the skins and makes it smooth.

fifie, Mar 12, 3:35am
Well done you ! isn't it great to stand back and admire the fruits of your hard work on the pantry shelves.This week ive made piccalilli pickle, apricot and capiscum chutney, roasted tomato pasta sauce, and this arvo started on apple jelly, they all beat the supermarket stuff any day lol.. Love this time of the year...

juliewn, Mar 12, 9:57am
I'll join you both... :-)

Sure is a lovely time of the year for preserving, pickling, etc.. and great to see all the goodies on shelves.. this year, some will be for my Daughter's 21st party next month - I'm making everything for the party and so far have made pesto ( using several types of basil, parsley and lemon balm - I added macadamia nuts I was given), tomato sauce, 2 batches of tomato relish, bottled beetroot (in bite-size chunks so it's easier to eat), tomato/scallopini/onion/silver-
beet/apple cider vinegar/balsamic vinegar pasta sauce (froze this in sandwich size zip-lock bags flattened to freeze so it will thaw fairly quickly), and grape juice. I've bought more prune plums to dry in my oven tomorrow - they make delicious prunes!

Apart from the onions, all fruits and vegetables are from my newly established gardens.. next year, I'll have onions too, as I planted about 60 plants recently.

Enjoy making your preserves.. :-)

ann7, Mar 12, 10:19am
Wow, you ladies are impressive. apricot and capsicum chutney is a new combination! i like the idea of freezing in ziplock bags. I have also done some basil pesto, yum

fifie, Mar 13, 3:35am
Well done you ! isn't it great to stand back and admire the fruits of your hard work on the pantry shelves.This week ive made piccalilli pickle, apricot and capiscum chutney, roasted tomato pasta sauce, and this arvo started on apple jelly, they all beat the supermarket stuff any day lol. Love this time of the year.

juliewn, Mar 13, 9:57am
I'll join you both. :-)

Sure is a lovely time of the year for preserving, pickling, etc. and great to see all the goodies on shelves. this year, some will be for my Daughter's 21st party next month - I'm making everything for the party and so far have made pesto ( using several types of basil, parsley and lemon balm - I added macadamia nuts I was given), tomato sauce, 2 batches of tomato relish, bottled beetroot (in bite-size chunks so it's easier to eat), tomato/scallopini/onion/silver-
beet/apple cider vinegar/balsamic vinegar pasta sauce (froze this in sandwich size zip-lock bags flattened to freeze so it will thaw fairly quickly), and grape juice. I've bought more prune plums to dry in my oven tomorrow - they make delicious prunes!

Apart from the onions, all fruits and vegetables are from my newly established gardens. next year, I'll have onions too, as I planted about 60 plants recently.

Enjoy making your preserves. :-)

macandrosie, Mar 14, 9:14am
Have you ever tried ccoking your relishes in the slow cooker? I think I got the idea from Alison Holsts slowcooker book. It's great alot less messy too.

fifie, Mar 14, 9:36pm
Yes the apricot and capiscum recipe is hers done in S/cooker, great idea for relish, not so time consuming either.

offroader1, Mar 14, 11:02pm
Hi de hi, I've just made your sauce, does it thicken up when cooled? how does it go thick?

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 14, 11:17pm
Try adding dark plums and a swoosh of a good chilli sauce to that recipe. Heaven...

katalin2, Mar 14, 11:29pm
Chutney making and baking are great antidotes for earthquake stress- had my first "me" day on Friday since the quake- made bread, cheeses muffins, plum cake, chilli plum jam, apricot jam, cooked up black boy peaches- felt so much more "normal" at end of the day! Felt the urge to replace all the fulljars that broke first in Sept and then in Feb. Great for giving away to all the people who fed and showered us while we had no power or water.

huntlygirl, Mar 15, 3:47am
My secret for tomato sauce is to add a pot or two of fruit mince left over from xmas, really adds another level.

macandrosie, Mar 15, 9:14am
Have you ever tried ccoking your relishes in the slow cooker! I think I got the idea from Alison Holsts slowcooker book. It's great alot less messy too.

offroader1, Mar 15, 11:02pm
Hi de hi, I've just made your sauce, does it thicken up when cooled! how does it go thick!

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 15, 11:17pm
Try adding dark plums and a swoosh of a good chilli sauce to that recipe. Heaven.

popelka1, Mar 17, 9:12pm
I've been on the domestic goddess go for a couple of months now, and I must say it's very satisfying! I've had copious wild blackberries, that have ended up as Jams/Jellies, and added to apple pies in the freezer for winter. Lemons and Grapefruit for my marmalade.

Apples galore from neighbour, jams/jellies/chutney.
Zucchini, chilli, cauli, tomatoes from my own garden in the chutneys too.

I've got a crockpot full of "JP Sauce" on the go this morning, (instead of HP sauce ya get "JP" sauce instead, my initials lol).

I freeze the leftover chunky pulp from my jam and jelly making and then when I'm ready for sauces, that gets pureed and used as the base, I never waste a thing thanks to learning the tricks over the years off my grandma.

So much more satifying when you can make something yourself and stock you cupboards, instead of forking out stupid prices for it at the supermarket when you can make it for either next to nothing or ...NOTHING lol

popelka1, Mar 18, 9:12pm
I've been on the domestic goddess go for a couple of months now, and I must say it's very satisfying! I've had copious wild blackberries, that have ended up as Jams/Jellies, and added to apple pies in the freezer for winter. Lemons and Grapefruit for my marmalade.

Apples galore from neighbour, jams/jellies/chutney.
Zucchini, chilli, cauli, tomatoes from my own garden in the chutneys too.

I've got a crockpot full of "JP Sauce" on the go this morning, (instead of HP sauce ya get "JP" sauce instead, my initials lol).

I freeze the leftover chunky pulp from my jam and jelly making and then when I'm ready for sauces, that gets pureed and used as the base, I never waste a thing thanks to learning the tricks over the years off my grandma.

So much more satifying when you can make something yourself and stock you cupboards, instead of forking out stupid prices for it at the supermarket when you can make it for either next to nothing or .NOTHING lol