Motueka carrot cake?

Page 3 / 14
winnie231, Apr 9, 12:46am
Which cafe? I'll call in & talk to the owner for you ...

winnie231, Apr 9, 12:48am
Heading west - as in towards Kaiteriteri? And on which side of the road?

annie.nz, Apr 9, 12:54am
Sorry, I wasn't too clear. Heading west from Nelson to Kaiteriteri, on the left hand side of the road. I think just before the centre of town (tho it's a bit hazy, was 2 years ago we were there). Sorry I can't remember the name. (old, losing marbles... . )

annie.nz, Apr 9, 12:55am
I do remember it is easy to see, good parking, tables and umbrellas outside, and I think a low white wall as a sort of divider from the street. I don't remember it being part of a museum tho

katalin2, Apr 9, 1:01am
Is it a bakery as well? We stopped there in Feb coming back from our annual hols in Golden Bay- it had fabulous food- I think it may have been called Continental Cafe and Bakery? ? We had the carrot cake too- it was pretty good but not as good as the one from Under the Red Veranda ib Christchurch- alas they wont part with the recipe. I was going to do a carrot cake for daughters wedding but after 4-5 tries gave up and settled for Hummingbird cake which turned out really well.

annie.nz, Apr 9, 1:05am
From memory it was primarily a cafe, not a standard-type SI bakery/cafe. I did follow your carrot cake threads with interest, sorry you didn't get the perfect one! I suspect the outstanding ones have some added wet ingredients other than the usual pineapple or stewed apple. *sob*

winnie231, Apr 9, 1:40am
From your description my guess would be The Moorings Restaurant and Bar. It sells gelato, pizzas, & general cafe food. I'll check if they sell carrot cake & if they do - ask for the recipe.

annie.nz, Apr 9, 1:55am
That sounds right, Winnie. Thanks for offering to check with them - it's very kind of you!

katalin2, Apr 9, 2:42am
Hi Annie, some of the carrot cakes I made from here were pretty good but I was comparing them to the ones from Under the Red Veranda- I even bought one to take home and dissect ( at $7. 50 for the slice ! ! ! ) but I just couldn't get their texture. Someone suggested using the small grater on your processor to grate the carrots and that certainly made a difference.
I even emailed Jo Segar- she suggested using her Kumara cake recipe using carrots but I gave up by then.

gilligee, Apr 9, 3:40am
Have you used the one with oil? It is very moist.

katalin2, Apr 9, 3:49am
I can't remember as I tried so many recipes. Just about ready to try making another one as we had carrot cake for breakfast lunch and dinner for a while- kidding, they were actually much appreciated by anyone who happened to call in for weeks on end.
Will try one with oil next. I think you are right as the one from the cafe I liked was probably made with oil.

valentino, Apr 9, 4:30am
Try this one for something really special... · 2 cups flour
· 2 teaspoons baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 3 large eggs
· 2 cups sugar
· 3/4 cups canola oil
· 3/4 cup buttermilk
· 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
· 2 cups grated carrots
· 240g can crushed pineapple, drained
· 100gcoconut
· 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Buttermilk glaze:
· 1 cup sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
· 1/2 cup butter milk
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
· 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Cream Cheese Frosting:
· 3/4 cup butter, softened
· 325g cream cheese, softened
· 3 cups sifted icing sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence

valentino, Apr 9, 4:31am
Cont... . second bit. Directions
1. Cake:
2. Line three 23cm round cake pans with baking paper; lightly grease and flour baking paper; set aside pans.
3. Stir together first 4 ingredients.
4. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with a mixer until smooth.
5. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
6. Fold in carrots and next 3 ingredients.
7. Pour batter into the 3 prepared cake tins.
8. Bake at 180c for 25 to 30 minutes or until tooth pick comes clean out of centre of cake.

valentino, Apr 9, 5:09am
or A very nice simpler one... ... 2 1/2c self raising flour, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp mixed spice, ½ c soft brown sugar, ½ c sultanas, 2 eggs lightly beaten, 2 tbsp vege oil, 1/3 c low fat milk, 140g apple puree, 300 g carrot coarsely grated…. Ricotto topping;125g ricotta, ¼ c icing sugar & ½ tsp grated lime rind. Grease a 10 x 18 cm loaf tin & line with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180c. Sift flour, soda & spices into large bowl. Stir in sugar & sultanas. Mix in the eggs, oil, milk & apple puree, then stir in carrot. Spread into tin, bake for 1 ¼ hours or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin for 5 minutes then on a wire rack. To make the topping, beat all ingredients together until smooth, spread over the cooled cake.

katalin2, Apr 9, 6:57am
Thanks Valentino- its going to be a cold Easter here in Christchurch so do have a baking day planned- don't have buttermilk so might go for the second one- cheers!

annie.nz, Apr 9, 10:09am
Thanks, Valentino, will give it a tryover the weekend.

hairchopper1, Apr 9, 10:48am
x1
I know the Cafe I know the cake! ! ! Its been in the cafe since it opened about 12 years ago, i worked there once, & my friend was the head cheif who gave me the recipe, She made it for our wedding cake, I will hunt it out & post it here for you, my little girl has her birthday tomorrow & we are packing up to move but i will find it or call my friend & post it for you,
It is the worlds best carrot cake! ! ! ! !

hairchopper1, Apr 9, 10:49am
so funny! Just came in here to find a cake recipe to make a birthday cake for tomorrow! Gd Help ME! ! ! & the first thread i see is Motueka carrot cake! giggles!

annie.nz, Apr 9, 7:04pm
hairchopper1, you are da bomb! .

rkcroft, Apr 10, 5:31am
We stopped off at a cafe in Motueka a few years back and they had the most amazing & incredibly HUGE carrot cake there. I wonder if it was the same one? Basically two normal sized carrots cakes stacked on top of one another.

wron, Apr 11, 8:16am
Bumping for Hairchopper!

dbab, Apr 11, 11:02pm
bump ...

hairchopper1, Apr 12, 1:31pm
Hi there I am doing my best in finding that recipe, hang in there may take me a day or so,

r123l, Apr 13, 9:59am
Katalin2 Write to either Taste or Cuisine Magazines they do a monthly page requesting recipes. You say how good the cafe is and ask them to get the recipe and then they usually are able to get it and print it. I did it for some Pukeko Junction recipes it took about four months but got my recipes! ! !

annie.nz, Apr 13, 10:00am
Thanks, hairchopper1 hope you had a great Easter!