Deep fryer help

hgrimwood, Jan 10, 4:08am
Hi everyone, I was given a deep fryer for xmas and no matter what we do our veges (spuds, kumara, pumpkin) don't come out crispy. We've tried different types of spuds etc and we are using cooking oil. Any hints on how to get them crispy!

pickles7, Jan 10, 4:12am
is there anything else you have noticed with the veges you have deep fried!

tjman, Jan 10, 4:24am
Just make sure the oil is hot enough

hgrimwood, Jan 10, 6:33pm
Hi, Ive preboiled the veges then fried them, Ive put them in raw then fried them, always have the oil the hottest possible.They do go crispy but by the time they go from the fryer to the table they're no longer crispy. Is there a special type of oil I should be using!

korbo, Jan 10, 6:34pm
maybe try Chefade. I always use it in my deep fryer.

hgrimwood, Jan 10, 6:39pm
i bought some chefade yesterday, put some in, turned the deep fryer on and it poured out with smoke! then read the instructions and it says only use oil :(

fisher, Jan 10, 11:28pm
try without the lid.:}

nala2, Jan 10, 11:52pm
hgrimwood
What was the make of deep fryer! I am looking at getting one for the double fry Asian recipes I do.
I did notice the Breville Avance says-"Donot to use solid frying oils" in very bold lettering.

hgrimwood, Jan 11, 1:31am
outs is a russell hobbs

whitehead., Jan 11, 3:48am
par boil your veg i have every thing ready with a pot of boiling water put my veg in and wait till it comes back to the boil them drain and let steam dry .if needed tip it out on a paper towel .them with your oil at the hottest fry your veg till floating i use heart tick oil and if ive cooked fish in the oil i cook a clove or garlic in it to take away the fish smell

nala2, Jan 11, 5:04am
hgrimwood
Could it be because it is a solid fat it has to be warmed slowly until melted and then the temp. raised!

bill241, Jan 11, 5:27am
Its something do to with the smoke points I think, maybe chefade etc don't have high enough smoke points.