Retro bean slicer -help to find one

julie55, Jan 8, 2:19am
I am trying to locate a retro bean slicer that had two holes at the top for different beans and it screwed onto the edge of the bench. The family had one back in the 1960's and Mum used it to do homemade bean and tomato preserves, frozen beans etc. It was made of metal and heavy from memory. I used to process mass bean harvest every summer. Do you know where I can get one!

geldof, Jan 8, 2:21am
heaps for sale on here. lol

cookessentials, Jan 8, 2:22am
Spong used to make the old bean slicer. There are new models available, although not by spong.

julie55, Jan 8, 2:29am
Thank you for your help really appreciated. Made a bid, so fingers crossed.

julie55, Jan 8, 2:34am
Oh, and apparently this co also made small meat grinders for making sausages - this was in the days before food processors, also hand coffee grinders that you hung on a wall like a phone!I wonder if there may be renewed demand for the 'old' or retro cooking gadgets.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 2:38am
Yes, that's right. My Mum had the old enamel Spong grinder that she used to clamp onto the bread board that conveniently slid out from just below the bench. She often used it for mincing the left over cooked meat from the roast to make a cottage/shepherds pie.

gardie, Jan 8, 3:39am
If you aren't in a hurry, keep your eye on TM.I got 2 for $5 + $5 postage - a bargain.One for me and one for me ole Dad.I just slice them, freeze them - no precooking needed.They are great for stir fries - just use them from frozen.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 3:49am
We bought ours years ago, I dont think it had been used much at all.

ayglepaygle, Jan 8, 6:12am
Just keep your eye on Trade Me - I got one for less than $10 incl postage a couple of years ago. Great for runner beans!

cookessentials, Jan 8, 7:20am
Thats a good price. I cant remember what we paid for ours, it was a few years ago now.

lindylambchops1, Jan 8, 7:22am
Fingers crossed for you!