Eggs in Eggs Benedict

Page 1 / 7
dgriffnz, Jan 8, 12:28am
Should they be runny, or is it acceptable to have the yolks go solid!

davidt4, Jan 8, 12:46am
Runny.

uli, Jan 8, 12:49am
Runny to just soft boiled.
Definitely not hard boiled (solid).

cookessentials, Jan 8, 12:53am
All depends on the person that is eating them and how they like their eggs.

uli, Jan 8, 1:01am
Amen to that - here we go again - "Eggs Benedict as you like them" - not as the recipe says . of course!

So dgriffnz do NOT worry about any recipes - cook the eggs as you like them and you will be fine - you could just hard boil them in shell even and peel and cover in Maggi packet sauce of course - or fry the eggs maybe for a change - or what about you just scramble them!

cookessentials you are just a treat on these boards - I reckon we should do away with recipes altogether . why bother!

We could just call scrambled eggs "chicken" or Spanish omelette "pizza" - wouldn't that be great!

elliehen, Jan 8, 1:21am
I suggest 'scrambled embryo chicken' ;)

pickles7, Jan 8, 1:40am
Should you have risen a little earlier, do you think!
They usually start out soft.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 1:50am
What a wicked person are. Fancy wanting to know how to create a perfect Eggs Benedict. Just do it how you feel and that will be perfect. The important thing to remember is that no one on here is supposed to assist someone who is first trying to reproduce a classic recipe.

Make your eggs how you think they should be and how you like to eat them. Call them Eggs Benedict and be happy with your achievement. You can even share with us how your Eggs Benedicts were made. Then sit back and wait for the accusations of 'purism or elitism' if any innocent poster points out that there were areas in your recipe where you could have made adjustments, to more reasonably reproduce exactly, the classic dish.

daleaway, Jan 8, 1:54am
If I were dining at a cafe, I'd expect to be asked how I liked my eggs.

So I'll have eggs benny with you, #4, and we'll have a good time and let the earnest food preachers sing their hymns to themselves in their own church.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 2:06am
Well, I am also asked how I like my eggs in a good cafe' or restaurant. Personally, I dont like really runny eggs. I like them firmish with a little runny yolk. Some people like them really runny, so persoanl taste really.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 2:08am
No one is preaching. The poster asked a question and the question was answered how people saw fit. Then it became "gentle ribbing" of which everyone is very happy about. So no real need for mudslinging and the poster did not mention restaurants.

gingercrush, Jan 8, 2:08am
When DP asks for Eggs Bene I just fry the eggs cause I have a phobia about poaching.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 2:11am
Do you really have a phobia about poaching!

elliehen, Jan 8, 2:16am

gingercrush, Jan 8, 2:19am
lol no. I just don't do poached. Haven't done poached eggs for at least six years.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 2:26am
I agree that poaching eggs is tricky. I've learnt a few tricks now and can produce nice poached eggs but once upon a time I was crap at poached eggs and avoided cooking them unless I absolutely had to.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 2:41am
Well daleaway, the socially inept dont know the difference between "gentle ribbing" and obvious put downs.par for the course. Can you imagine if you hated really runny eggs and were served them in a caf'e because nobody bothered to ask you what you prefer! and that they thought you SHOULD have them that way because it was the correct and only way to eat them.

uli, Jan 8, 2:47am
Yep - if I would order "eggs benedict" in a cafe then I would EXPECT them to be runny to soft boiled (cause that is what they are). If you of course have no idea what you are ordering then it is a case of "tough luck" really. If anybody would ask me if I wanted them scrambled or fried or boiled hard I would walk out.

uli, Jan 8, 2:50am
So you would order eggs benedict without knowing what they are!
Pretty amazing.

How do you get on with other food in a cafe or restaurant!
Do you expect to be asked how you want your salad dressed!
Your roast beef seared!
Your pizza cooked!

pickles7, Jan 8, 2:58am
Welcome .daleaway.I see you are a new player.

gingercrush, Jan 8, 3:00am

Eggs benedict at a cafe would always be poached. If you preferred your eggs to more firmer then surely you'd be asking them to do that. But unless its a two eggs cooked your choice + toast then no I wouldn't expect to be asked.

turtlet, Jan 8, 3:01am
Me neither.Have had it lots in different cafes and have never been asked how I want my eggs done.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 3:02am
Yes, I would ask for mine to be the way I liked them.

uli, Jan 8, 3:03am
We all deducted that from you earlier post :)

buzzy110, Jan 8, 3:03am
Gosh. A new player and already fully aware of the simmering animosity that permeates these boards. I wonder how new this new player is exactly.