Vol au vents case fillings

melinda1, Jan 3, 8:37am
Looking for something easy to put in cases I have to take a plate to wedding afterfunction.Any ideas ! TIA

pheebs1, Jan 3, 9:11am
Servings:

Units: US | Metric

4 (12 1/2 cm) pastry vol-au-vent cases (read note above with regards to the ones used in the photo.)
olive oil
700 g chicken breasts , cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves , crushed
300 g mushrooms , sliced thinly
1 leek , sliced thinly
1 (60 g) packet cream of chicken soup (The one I buy makes up 1 liter)
2 cups milk
1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 large avocado , chopped

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Heat oil in a pan cook chicken in batches until browned, remove and set to one side.
Heat a little more oil in the same pan, add leeks, garlic and mushrooms, cook until leeks and mushrooms have softened, return chicken to pan and removed from heat.
In a saucepan whisk soup powder with milk and stock, bring to the boil to thicken, stir in tarragon. (my packet mix requires one more cup of liquid than I use, so that I end up with a thicker version than a soup, to use as the sauce, so bear this in mind.).
Pour soup mix into pan with chicken and mushroom mix, stir to combine, gently stir in avocado.
Place spoonfuls of chicken mix into pastry cases, bake in oven for about 5-8 Min’s until hot.
I served our with honeyed carrots and buttered spinach.

Print This Recipe

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-avocado-and-mushroom-stuffed-vol-au-vents-378470#ixzz1iNuk6dmQ

pheebs1, Jan 3, 9:12am
Chicken and leek vol au vents

Chicken and leek vol au vents

The essential canape - these chicken and leek vol-au-vents will delight all your guests.
Makes

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 leeks, white part, sliced (green part reserved)
750g chicken thigh fillets, diced
2 tablespoons plain flour
185ml can Carnation light & creamy evaporated milk
3 teaspoons grainy mustard
4 x 60g vol au vent cases
1/3 cup olive oil, extra, or vegetable oil, for deep frying

Add above ingredients to your shopping list
Method

Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until just cooked. Sprinkle flour over chicken mixture and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring constantly until well combined. Add mustard and stir until combined. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

Place vol au vents onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spoon cooled chicken mixture into vol au vents. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.

Meanwhile, finely shred reserved green portion of leeks. You will need approximately 1 cup. Heat the extra oil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. When oil is hot (see note), cook leeks, in 3 batches, for 1 minute or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.

Serve vol au vents topped with shredded leek.

pheebs1, Jan 3, 9:15am
creamy mushrooms
spinach and feta!

stitch50, Jan 3, 10:32pm
I'm trying to track down an old recipe for a Mock Oyster filling for Vol au Vents that was popular around1965 to1970 (although it was a lot older than that ,) I Dont remember having it after that , but it was lovely and I'd love to get hold of the recipe if anyone can help . thnaks

lythande1, Jan 3, 11:14pm
Sauteed bacon and mushroom with a bit of cream in the sauce.
Simple but great.

Smoked fish in parsley sauce.

melinda1, Jan 4, 7:09am
Thank you so much all

melindra, Jan 5, 4:44am
VERY quick and simple.Cheese sauce, (make it yourself or use a packet) smoked salmon and prawns.Done!:-)

melindra, Jan 5, 4:46am
Another option, pea and feta.Sounds gross but it is divine, I hate peas but I love this.Also good on crustini, or as a dip for rice crackers and vege sticks.

Boil peas till soft.Drain and cool.Puree in food processor with feta.Feta is half that of peas, ie 1 cup peas, half cup feta,Ad a teaspoon or two of crushed garlic to taste.Delicious!