Ginger nut fillings

evebee, Jul 15, 9:37pm
has anyone any ideas for fillings for softened ginger nuts. Thanks

red2, Jul 15, 9:58pm
lemon honey

ballito, Jul 15, 9:59pm
Years ago mum used to put crushed pineapple topped with whipped cream. Yummy. You could improve on that by adding spices to the pineapple and maybe adding some flavouring to the cream. Hope this helps.

evebee, Jul 15, 10:03pm
Thanks for those ideas. will definitely be trying both. Red 2 do you just put lemon honey in the cases--nothing on top.

red2, Jul 15, 10:05pm
I think a little whipped cream would not go amiss ! ! !

2halls, Jul 15, 10:09pm
Whipped cream with chopped glace ginger and a spoonful of Buderim ginger syrup stirred through. :-)

jaxma, Jul 15, 10:16pm
Caramel and then baked again lightly to set it :-)Mmmmm ... brings back yummy memories ...

horizons_, Jul 15, 10:21pm
Cream cheese and melted chocolate (50/50).

bob368, Jul 16, 9:17am
Thanks Ballito, I remember my mum doing the pineapple & cream, oh god now I'll have to pop out & get me some gingernuts etc...
Got a craving now LOL

andrea1978, Jul 16, 9:31am
my mum made something like this too. it was called ginger whip. she would crush the gingernuts, i think there were egg whites involved and cream? you put pineapple in first and then the gingernut mix. this thread makes me want to look for the recipe and make it!

ellie04, Jul 16, 8:41pm
An adult treat was to dip the gingernuts in sherry, join together with whipped cream to make a log and then cover in whipped cream and add grated chocolate or a flake broken up - very yummy!

horizons_, Jul 16, 11:10pm
Ellie, you can do it with fruit juice too for a non alcoholic version and use choc chippy biscs instead. Very retro.

evebee, Jul 17, 2:14am
Andrea1978. The recipe you mentioned sounds super. maybe someone will be able to post the recipeor maybe you will share if you find the recipe. Thanks

darlingmole, Jul 17, 3:04am
oh yum~! that's a dessert I used to make years ago! Must make it again

ellie04, Jul 17, 8:25pm
It is definitely one that has been around. I remember our neighbour making it about 25 years ago! It is certainly a goodie and so easy!

naki45, Jul 18, 3:28am
1 pack crushed gingernuts, chopped walnuts and make a slice recipe with them I think its something like 100gms butter and 1/2tin condensed milk. cover with White butter icing with a few chopped walnuts scattered on top. perfect with a cup of coffee... yum.

pnutz, Jul 18, 3:50am
ginger nuts make a great base for a cheesecake... yum!

petal1955, Jul 19, 1:32am
GINGERNUT SURPRISE

1 PKT GINGERNUTS

225GRM TIN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE

1 TBSP RUM (OPTIONAL)

300ML CREAM

1 TSP ICING SUGAR

1/2 TSP VANILLA ESSENCE

1/4 SLIVERED ALMONDS, TOASTED

ROUGHLY CRUSH THE GINGERNUTS. DRAIN THE PINEAPPLE

RESERVING THE JUICE. ADD THE RUM TO THE JUICE IF

DESIRED. WHIP THE CREAM, ICING SUGAR AND VANILLA

ESSENCE TO THE SOFT PEAK STAGE.

DIVIDE HALF THE BISCUIT CRUMBS BETWEEN FOUR

DECORTIVE GLASSES, AND SPOON OVER HALF OF THE JUICE,

HALF THE CRUSHED PINEAPPLE AND HALF THE CREAM.

REPEAT IN THESE LAYERS. REFRIGERATE FOR SEVERAL

HOURS BEFORE SERVING. SPRINKLE WITH TOASTED

ALMONDS.

ballito, Nov 9, 6:07pm
Mum used to do this with chocolate chippie biscuits - so nice as well. Will have to both recipes now!