Has anyone bought a deep fryer at Briscoes!

Page 1 / 2
bill241, Jan 3, 8:18am
A few days ago I became totally fixated on the idea of having one and making my own churros and thick hot chocolate to dip them in.still pretty intent on the idea, haha. Briscoes is having a sale (funnily enough) but I can't see any on the Salefinder website. Surely they sell deep fryers there!

tommydog, Jan 3, 8:31am
Come on someone please tell us/ We always have some cupboard space for one more appliance.The thought has run through my brain alot as well in the pass few weeks are they worth getting !

mence, Jan 3, 8:59am
Not recently but I have bought one lol.I got a Zip one, its stainless steel.I got it when it was 60% off.LOVE it lol.Use it quite a bit for cooking chips and the kids chicken nuggets etc.Its one appliance that is used enough to warrant it being bought lol.

bill241, Jan 3, 9:33am
Awesome, that sounds kind of promising

shop-a-holic, Jan 3, 10:24am
oh darling. please dont buy one.

bill241, Jan 3, 10:54am
But churros!

deus701, Jan 3, 10:54am
kmart has 4L deep fryer for $39

korbo, Jan 3, 6:13pm
would love to know how you make churros.
recipe please. love em.

kob, Jan 3, 6:54pm
yes we brought one at Briscoes, half price a few years back. Because we live 10 minutes out of town it was perfect for us, no more cold hot chips lol. But then we started becoming quite healthy and have hardly used it, I guess its a good appliance to have in the cupboard as its a quick was to create a meal when unexpected rugby guests arrive, bang a pizza in the oven cook up a bag of chips and your away, quick and easy and you can use canola oil which is less fat, I would say buy it if its your buzz for the moment at half price you cant go wrong, if you find you dont use it, sell it or give it away

lilyfield, Jan 3, 9:02pm
and what a fuss they are to clean. Let it cool down,drain the oil, filter it, clean the cooker, put oil back.

Mine did not last long.You can buy oven bake chips- healthier too.

bill241, Jan 3, 9:24pm
I haven't made them before, I'm just going to try some different recipes on the interwebs.

fisher, Jan 3, 11:19pm
bill241. if you do buy one. get a oblong stainless steel one. anything plastic is a pain to clean.too many puristslolthink you'll die if you use one.can even do roast spuds. kumura in them after par boiling and drying. water is their enemy and will kill your oil in no time at all so just ensure you dry everything well. even new cut chips.enjoy.:}

bill241, Jan 4, 12:09am
I think it will be a fun thing to experiment with, I'm a trainee chef and a working cook so I do like to try new things. I'm not going to crank it up daily to cook processed 'pork' schnitzel and lasagne toppers on a bed of crinkle cut chips or anything hideous like that.
I also love Cajun and Southern food so I want to try it out with some of that stuff, like apple fritters etc

vintagekitty, Jan 4, 12:09am
do you empty the oil everytime or do you reuse it!. I have one and have never used it.

deus701, Jan 4, 12:16am
Churros

300gUnsalted Butter
600mlWater
300gSugar
2 pinch Flour
7Eggs

1. Melt butter with the water and bring to the boil
2. Sift the dry ingredients and tip into boiling water
3. Remove from the heat and beat until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the saucepan
4. Leave to cool a little and then gradually add the eggs until it forms a piping consistency (quantity of eggs is only a guideline)
5. Pipe 12cm lines into the oil at 170°C and cook until golden
6. Drain excess fat onto paper towels and dip in cinnamon sugar
7. Serve immediately

timturtle, Jan 4, 12:33am
What size star nozzle do you use on the piping bag ! TIA

eastie3, Jan 4, 1:05am
That churros recipe looks odd to me.2 pinches of flour,7 eggs.all that butter when oil is generally used.!

bill241, Jan 4, 1:08am

davidt4, Jan 4, 1:23am
Looks to me as if the quantities for sugar and flour have been reversed.If you fix that, it is basically a choux pastry.

davidt4, Jan 4, 1:28am
Here is a churros dough recipe from Frank Camorra of Movida.I haven't made these but have eaten them at Movida.

125g plain flour
125g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
2 tab olive oil
435 ml boiling water

Mix dry ingredients well.In a searate bowl mic oil and boiling water and immediately pour into dry ingredients.Mix with a wooden spoon 30 sec.The dough should be fairly soft and sticky.

Fry in oil heated to 170C.

Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and serve with hot chocolate thickened with cornflour.

deus701, Jan 4, 3:52am
yes, it does look weird. It was given by an exchange student from chile.i have only eaten it and not tried making it. I will reconfirm the recipe with her and get back to you on that.

kuaka, Jan 4, 6:56am
I've got one of the oblong stainless steel ones and I hate it.My original "plastic" one died, it worked for a while and then packed a sad and wouldn't get warmer than tepid, and was replaced under warranty with this awful stainless steel thing.I find it very "user unfriendly".For a start, the lid isn't hinged, so you have to find somewhere to put it - obviously you need to put it on the bench "topside down" so that you don't make a mess, then when you want to put it back on, it's upside down and hard to pick up without getting all oily.Secondly the "workings" of the thing sits at the back of it, and gets all steamed up when in use, and I imagine it won't be long before the electrics pack a sad and it will be useless.Thirdly, the actual element sits in the oil, and requires quite a lot of oil to just cover the element, the basket sits above the element, and needs to have quite a lot of oil covering the bottom of the basket to be able to deep fry anything.This type of deep fryer uses far more oil than my old one, where the heating element wasn't exposed.With any luck this one will die whilst still under warranty and be replaced with something better.I'm sure that whoever designed it, doesn't do any deep frying!

bill241, Jan 4, 9:25am
I got a Breville Avance 3L from Noel Leeming, $109, but I'm too smashed to actually use it right now.maybe tomorrow

And it is an oblong stainless steel one so we'll see whether it is decent or not

kuaka, Jan 4, 9:46am
Mine's a Kambrook, but I am far from impressed with it.

fifie, Jan 4, 10:14am
Have the long stainless steel one and its brilliant. Chips are just the best when double cooked, i do oysters, and some fish in batter, along with vegs and roasties. Anything in batter don't put it in the basket, as it sticks to it just throw it in the hot oil, easy to clean and change oil every so often. Mines a breville, we use rice bran oil, but i do have a limit on the amount of times we use it weekly so evey meal dosen't get cooked in it as Mr would love that lol. Just try out things you will be surprised.