Removing air from bags when freezing

Page 1 / 2
perfectsense, Dec 31, 11:58pm
My grandmother had this little reverse pump thing.Kind of like two cardboard tubes inside each other.When 'pumped' they removed the air from her freezer bags.Does anyone know if you can still get anything similar!I don't want to pay for a fancy pants gadget which requires special bags with valves etc.TIA :)

lythande1, Jan 1, 12:25am
Get a piece of hoe. Put one end in the bag, hold bag tightly round it, suck in to create a vacuum, tie it off and pull hose out at same time kind of - a little tricky but you get the hang of it.

kassie48, Jan 1, 12:30am
Are they similiar to pumps used for balloons!
Thought you were joking at first read lythande1!

brooke70, Jan 1, 12:40am
Submerge bag up to opening in sink of water and the air release and it vacumn paks.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 12:41am
Yes. You want a Norma McCulloch freezer pump which was designed and patented right here in NZ.

perfectsense, Jan 1, 12:45am
Yes!Just googled it and that is exactly what I meant.Now where to get one!.

Link just for interests sake :)http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/inventions-patents-and-trademarks/1/3

Thanks so much cookessentials!

perfectsense, Jan 1, 12:49am
Ooohh!More google searching shows they have been sold on here previously.Don't suppose you have any available cookessentials!

cookessentials, Jan 1, 12:59am
Not at the moment. I managed to get hold of Norma and she had quite alot lef tover. She does not sell them so much here now,funnily enough, Lakeland in the UK sell them. I will be trying to get more from her. I am pretty sure I am out of them. There are some slightly cheaper imitations, but hers are the best.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 1:02am
Here is an interesting story on Norma
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0306/S00027.htm

kay141, Jan 1, 1:47am
Milly's have some on their website. Not the same brand but equivalent.

lilyfield, Jan 1, 2:09am
a straw and suck- works as well anything

wildflower, Jan 1, 2:10am
Put a straw in the neck of the bag and suck!Cheapest way.

buzzy110, Jan 1, 2:29am
Totally agree with lilyfied and wildflower. Straws are cheap and they do not collapse like the paper ones used to.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 2:32am
definatley not equivalent. I used to stock those ones and wont stock them now as they dont remove the air properly.the same thing you get with a straw.

buzzy110, Jan 1, 5:33am
Lol. Careful. It wasn't just me who likes the straw. And the same problem still exists with both methods and that is, you have to be fast when you remove the 'air extractor' device to ensure no air leaks back in. I had one of those pumps and I feel that the straw, due to its much smaller diameter and the fact I can seal it with a finger pad, works just as well.

If you want to ensure your bags are completely air free then you should consider getting an electrical device that sucks out all the air and seals it once the air pressure in the bag reaches absolute 0.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 5:46am
Careful!

arabelle, Jan 1, 7:25pm
Spin the bag as you withdraw the straw , the leakage is then very minimal

dezzie, Jan 1, 8:00pm
lol, I must be a heathen, I just hold the top of the bag in my hand and suck, with my other hand supporting the bag, once its flat I spin the bag with my supporting hand, drop the bag onto the bench and tie the top in a knot and pull it tight.

pickles7, Jan 1, 8:48pm
So you admit, you are a sucker then.
I buy bulk stuff and collect the zip lock bags, zip it 7/8 across, push out the air and.zip it all the way.
I threw my mums cardboard sucker thing in the bin a long time ago, it was one of the better ones on the market too. rubbish it was.

effcee1, Jan 1, 9:47pm
HI cookessentials and any one else that can help ,i have tried to get my hands on one of these for ages but to no avail so if anyone can help i would be very gratefull

jag5, Jan 1, 10:38pm
Yep.I am a sucker too.works well.I am sucking - not blowing so hygiene really isn't a problem.

Just scrunch up neck of back leaving a finger size hole.put to mouth, suck then quickly tie up.been doing it for years LOL

cookessentials, Jan 1, 10:43pm
I will get them again effcee1, just need to get hold of Norma. For the uninformed like pickles, these are plastic and fully washable LOL the cardboard ones went out with the ark.

effcee1, Jan 2, 1:55am
Hi will leave my cellphone number and perhaps you could call me and advise the price also add the cost of the call, no good texting me im an oldy and cant do that : Thanks, 0274548073.

pickles7, Jan 2, 2:15am
OK. I admit it. I have been known to suck, I try and avoid doing it these days, If I do need to get that last bit of air out I use a straw. That way if any juice is found the straw, I just turf it out.

lindylambchops1, Jan 2, 4:26am
Here here!