Good quality butter

Page 2 / 3
lythande1, Dec 29, 5:43pm
Put a glass of water in the fridge. Does it go hard! No. Butter hardens in cool temps because of the fat content.
But I use the butter conditioner in mine anyway.

dreamers, Dec 29, 8:33pm
We used to buyit when we went to Christmas markets in Germany.Love the marzipan layer in the middle.I bought one from a well known bakery last year and it was burnt and tasted yuk,which was probably good as I would have eaten by myself.

cloudberry, Dec 29, 8:51pm
I use Tararua. I've experimented with various brands and I find that when I clarify it that's the brand that has the smallest residue and gives the best result. It also seems to be one of the most expensive brands so I buyit on special when I can and freeze it.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 29, 9:20pm
+1 Cloudberry.

tinkagirl, Dec 29, 10:19pm
I am the same, because of the cost these days, whatever is on special is what I buy, I have found no difference in taste or quality.

figjamto, Dec 30, 4:03am
Lurpak or Mainland.as long as it is foil wrapped.My preferance is Lurpak, although a little bit more expensive

terachaos, Dec 30, 4:06am
But Lurpak tastes the best

esther-anne, Dec 30, 4:46am
Lurpak for me but can only afford it quite rarely.

It IS pale kuaka but the taste is sublime - you need nothing else on toast, just the butter.

I used it exclusively in the UK but has got beyond my means now.

Tararua is what I mostly buy.

fenian1, Dec 30, 5:07am
Water is not added to butter but is in the cream from which butter is made Butter at one time had a legal limit of 16% water .

fenian1, Dec 30, 5:13am
there is no milk in butter when melted there are solid residues such as salt lactose minerals and water when heated enough the water will evaporate

seniorbones, Dec 30, 5:13am
All butter will do this , its how to produce clarified butter seperating the cream/milk your left with the very yellow clear liquid and the milk/cream at the bottom. I prefer tararua it doesnt describe contents as having water in it like others and its taste so much nicer too.

uli, Dec 30, 5:21am
Well maybe next year I make a photo of the milky liquid and then you can have it and do your lab work on it as to what it is.

socram, Dec 30, 5:27am
Lurpak everytime.Price varies around here from $6.25 (New World) to $4.60 at Pak 'n Save.Someone is ripping us off I fear.
My first job after leaving school was in an old fashioned grocer's shop (think Granville. complete with brown smock) and one of my jobs was to unload the delivery truck. Lurpak came in either 1cwt wooden barrels (or 1/2 hundreweight), or the foil packs, and I had to carry them down to the cellar.Butter was mainly sold 'loose' in those days, wrapped in greaseproof paper and the taste for Lurpak has never left me, though I wish it was still 3 and 8 a pound!
Most people with a good palate appreciate the taste of a cultured butter once they have tried it and cutting out Lurpak would be the very last luxury item I would dump.

fenian1, Dec 30, 5:35am
Butter is made from cream which has had the fat content standardised the cream is stored in silos overnight and churned the next day all churning is now automated as the cream churns and turns into butter a liquid is given of which is buttermilk (great for cooking) salt can be added if making salted butter. Cultured butter is made when a starter is added to the cream (similar to cheese) but the rest of the process is the same. Salt and culturing were both used to help preserve the butter pre refrigeration. The automated process gives a softer butter then the old batch churn. However the time of the season will affect the hardness of butter The colour of butter is affected by how much carotene is in the milk. Different breeds of cows have different levels of carotene in there milk

davidt4, Dec 30, 5:53am
You should see the Italian butter - it's a beautiful pale ivory colour.It tastes lovely too.The Italians I talked to about NZ butter couldn't believe that butter can be yellow and didn'tfancy the idea at all.

craig04, Dec 30, 6:50am
This must be why our Jersey cow produced cream that made yellower butter than our Freisian cow!

kuaka, Dec 30, 9:08am
I guess it's all a case of what you are used to, and I don't particularly like insipid looking butter - but I do recall many years ago (not long after I first arrived in NZ) that everyone was querying why the butter was such a deep golden colour, much darker than normal.The powers that be decided it was something to do with the type of grass the cows had been eating I seem to remember.

shop-a-holic, Dec 30, 10:59am
uli - you're not supposed to pee in your melted butter before cooking with it. Mwah!

prawn_whiskas, Dec 30, 7:45pm
Its whey - this discussion has been hashed out before on here.I'd even contacted one of the main butter Coys for clarification - the watery/milky substance that splits off is WHEY.

socram, Dec 30, 9:02pm
Who cares about the colour! if we were talking eggs, I'd agree as there is nothing worse than an insipid looking egg. Cream is cream coloured and Lurpak is close in colour and is also creamy, but it isn't as salty as many local butters and also keeps well and freezes well.Many of the local butters seem to lose their fresh taste quite quickly but Lurpak doesn't.
Thank goodness we don't all have the same tastes.

seniorbones, Dec 30, 9:19pm
LOL.no one is disputing what your saying Uli and if you read how to create clarified butter its melted so the residue sits at the bottom and you pour off the lovely top yellow butter, It is made from cream so there probably should be cream at the bottom, plus everything else :-P

ro42, Dec 30, 9:48pm
Lurpack is cultured butter, that's why it tastes different. It's easy to make your own - you just have to culture the cream first (use cultured buttermilk as a 'starter' just like making yoghurt). Cheaper, too!

uli, Dec 31, 3:18am
I'd wish!
The Lurpak in NZ is not cultured at all - at least not the one I buy from Countdown here in Whangarei! Check the labels!

davidt4, Dec 31, 5:43am
Really!The block version or the spreadable version!

I used to buy the block version until a couple of years ago, and it was certainlymildly cultured then.I did notice when we were in London earlier this year that the spreadable version of Lurpakthere had no cultured character.

uli, Dec 31, 6:05am
Well I bought the last Lurpak in NZ about 2 years ago - and it certainly didn't taste "cultured" at all then. Maybe they have changed since!