Not having pav success tonight.

denart, Dec 24, 9:26am
Made the roulade advertised on food in a minute-did everything it said but it didn't crisp up just stayed sticky. Tried the icing sugar one its in the oven now but it spread & its massive but not very high.I beat for 15 minutes, don't know whats happening.I hope it tastes ok.Had to chuck the roulade it was sticky.

melza28, Dec 24, 9:33am
I'm trying the icing sugar one too! Hope your one turns out better this time! This will be my first attempt but won't open the oven door till morning so won't know the results until then! (Oven doesn't have glass door so can't see what happening to it! lol

kate777, Dec 24, 9:49am
I don't know where you are but it may be too humid for a pav to really work well.

Was the sticky one too sticky to be sprinkled with toasted coconut then filled and rolled! Try that if you get another sticky one.

ropes2, Dec 24, 9:58am
Does humidity affect the pav! Any suggestions to help prevent the humidity from affecting it and at what stage does the humidity affect it (i.e. in the oven or the beating of the egg!) Thanks!

davejillmc, Dec 24, 10:24am
I've got the icing sugar pav in the oven, almost done, and looks really good.My eggs were about a week and a half old (free range), and at room temperature, not refridgerated.I don't have success with fresh or refridgerated eggs.

suie1, Dec 24, 10:26am
Fresh eggs do not give enough volume & refrigerated ones need to be brought up to room temp before beating. Good Luck

pcjo, Dec 24, 10:45am
My lot havefinished devouring my icing sugar pav tonight. It turned out great. Made lemon curds to go with it (to use the yolks) REALLY good!

deus701, Dec 24, 11:41am
your sugar is not dissolved properly (eg adding sugar too fast). I would add the sugar in 3 lots, making sure the sugar dissolves.as undissolved sugar attracts moisture = sticky.

eastie3, Dec 24, 10:33pm
My recipe calls for 4 egg whites and 1 cup of caster sugar.I add the sugar 1TBS at a time,it takes at least 20mins,sometimes 30mins as it did today.I also sift the sugar before I add it.

donna_jo29, Dec 25, 3:02am

celosia, Dec 25, 4:11am
well I made my pavlova yesterday using castor sugar and I have never had such a disaster - even before it fully cooled down it was 'oozing' all over the tray and making a terrible syrupy mess.As far as I could tell the sugar was completely dissolved as it was not grainy and I stood beating it for a good half hour putting small amounts of sugar in at a time.Where did I go wrong!We managed to eat it today however, but the horribly syrup was just yukky!

cookessentials, Dec 25, 6:23am
Yes, I was going to say that perhaps the humidity is playing havoc with yoour pavs!

uli, Dec 25, 6:46am
Yep too much cooking sherry alright :)
" . yoour pavs! ."

donna_jo29, Dec 25, 6:53am
i made a pav roll it only took 10 mins to bake and you can take it out of oven straight away, wait to cool, while waiting make filling. and then roll it up.

uli, Dec 25, 6:56am
Yep they are great when people roll up to your door unexpectedly . :)