Salmon ball, Gluten Free

aw217, Jan 12, 10:27am
My Daughter has coeliacs too. We have a lovely salmon dip that you could convert to a ball I guess, or just eat it as a dip.

Salmon Dip
250 gCream cheese
1 small tinSalmon
40 gMelted Butter
1Juiced Lemon
1 tbsnCapers (optional)
1 packetSmoked Salmon (optional)
Salt and Pepper
Dill to taste (optional)

• Blend the Cream cheese, Salmon and melted butter until smooth.
• Add the juice of about half a Lemon, some chopped Capers (to taste), Dill and salt and pepper.
• You can more Lemon juice if you like and also pieces of smoked Salmon to the end mixture.

This is nice served with crackers or little slices of G.F bread, sliced thin, spray with oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt, then bake at 200 c until starting to turn golden. (turns out like the bagel crisps)
Good luck!

nzl99, Jan 12, 9:35pm
Double check the creamcheese you are using is gf. I think the country goodness one we get, is.

buzzy110, Jan 12, 11:19pm
I used to make one from cottage cheese, salmon, spring onion, salt and pepper and very finely sliced red capsicum. The I rolled the balls in toasted sesame seeds.

I do not know if cottage cheese has gluten in it though as I'm not really a fan of factory processed dairy, other than some of the luscious cheeses that are now available.

ant_sonja, Jan 13, 3:01am
yes, thats what I thought.phew! and I hear ya on the English thing :-)

aw217, Jan 13, 8:09am
Yes we use the country goodness, the other has a thickener in it that contains wheat.

nails6, Dec 24, 2:53am
Has anyone made a Salmon Ball and used Maggi Vegetable Soup Mix instead of Onion.My daughter is G.F and prior to her diagnosis I would use a standard onion mix.There aren't many flavours that are G.F in our supermarket, they are either Chicken, Mushroom or Vegetable.I did think about also adding onion flakes too in addition to the vege soup mix.Any ideas would be appreciated.

uli, Dec 24, 4:51am
What is the soup mix for!

If just for flavouring then you could simply use fresh or dried herbs, fresh onions or spring onions and some fresh garlic.

If it is to hold everything together then you'd have to think of something else.

nails6, Dec 24, 5:02am
Yes it is for flavour and to bind it.Ingredients are cream cheese, can of salmon and a pkt of onion soup.I thought I may be able to get away with a pkt of vege soup instead of!

ant_sonja, Dec 24, 6:16am
I would season with herbs/onion/salt & pepper etc then bind with egg yolk that has cornflour mixed in it.

uli, Dec 24, 8:41am
Why would you want to!

Cream cheese and a tin of salmon would bind together enough by itself - so all you have to do is sort out the seasoning. I would use salt, pepper (or chilli), some herbs, chopped spring onion and garlic.

No gluten in sight!
And you certainly do not need any soup or other packaged stuff for this!

Give it a go!

uli, Dec 24, 8:43am
If it is made from corn yes - if made from wheat no .

English language is not very precise unfortunately . but you do not really need it anyway for this recipe (and if you would need it - then you could use rice flour and be on the safe side).

guest, Jan 11, 6:29am
Now I know who the brainy one is, I'll keep looinkg for your posts.

guest, Jan 13, 12:55pm
Congratulations ! I'm so excited for you. I didn't make it to GTA, so I will fololw your lead and your class to learn so my students can learn and work as yours do. Great project and work !