Freezing Choux Puffs for eclairs!

hhb, Dec 20, 8:42pm
Anyone know if these homemade, would freeze ok if made now for xmas day.

suie1, Dec 20, 8:50pm
Yes, I freeze them all the time, sometimes 2 weeks in advance. I cream them & freeze them, then drizzle choc over on the day to be eaten & let them thaw out, no need to refrigerate. But you can freeze them with the choc on as well.

I made about 180 last week froze them & then put the melted choc on the night before I used them & put them back in the freezer, took them out about 3hrs before serving, delish!

No one can tell the difference between the frozen ones & the ones that have not been frozen.

pickles7, Dec 20, 8:54pm
It is choice if you freeze them filled or cream and ice them once thawed. I personally think they look fresher filling and icing them, once thawed.

suie1, Dec 20, 8:55pm
Oh & I don't cut them open, make a hole in the bottom & pipe the cream in, I also pipe the eclaires but you don't need to

pamellie, Dec 20, 9:20pm
I like the sound of not cutting them but doesn't the cream ooze out the bottom!

suie1, Dec 20, 10:46pm
No. They still ooze when you eat them either way LOL

molly37, Dec 21, 1:01am
I am tempted to make mine the night before and store in a container. Are they still fresh the next day, or soggy. I dont fancy freezing them.

sarahb5, Dec 21, 1:18am
If you don't cut them how do you get the uncooked "goo" out of the inside!

davidt4, Dec 21, 1:37am
If they are cooked properly there won't be any uncooked goo.

sarahb5, Dec 21, 1:46am
I agree, there shouldn't but I don't cook them anymore.I'm just remembering back to when I was at school and we made them - we had to pull the uncooked insides out before we put cream in them.I have stopped having them when out to eat because the "goo" seems to be a recurring theme.

flower-child01, Dec 21, 2:36am
Choux is easily frozen, but then once thawed they can be crisped up again in the oven.

buzzy110, Dec 21, 2:53am
I usually make the hole on the side or top so that cream doesn't fall out the bottom.A french eclair is filled with creme patisserie which freezes quite well but I do not like the 'flattened' texture and appearance of frozen cream so when using cream I prefer to fill fresh and usually try to have them sitting around filled for as short a time as I can arrange.