Meringue experts- Chewy Meringue tips please.

suie1, Dec 20, 7:51pm
I made a batch of meringues a couple of weeks ago that had a chewy almost toffee like layer, my family were raving about them & have asked me to make some for Xmas lunch the problem is I haven't been able to duplicate it since, are their any meringue experts that can help TY

pickles7, Dec 20, 8:13pm
lol. they are hard to make, never did it by accident even, myself. There is another thread on the subject, haven't time to go look for it.
I am off to wallpaper, for another day.
Maybe a case of using dampish sugar. We had a huge brick oven so our bakery never got damp or cold. good luck.

daleaway, Dec 20, 10:54pm
I think you have a better chance of getting them with softer centres if you put them in at a higher temperature and then lower the temperature, so the outside is cooked first. I would also take one off and eat it after given period, to check progress. Stop the cooking and take them out when it reaches the point you want.

If you do them for a long slow low-temperature cook, as usual, they dry out right through.

Having said that, egg whites are temperamental little beggars, and usually come up with the result that suits them, not you!

suie1, Dec 20, 11:54pm
How high temp, thanks

suie1, Dec 29, 5:38am
Thanks for your help your tips worked a treat :)