Meringue help

bella95, Aug 9, 12:51am
I posted this as a question in another thread but got no answers so I'm starting a new one, please help.
I made an amazing pie last night. Flour, ground almonds, lemon rind, butter and yolks in the pastry. Apple 1/4's poached with the juice and some sugar then laid on the pre-baked shell and the whites in a meringue top over it all. Back in the oven to brown, looked and tasted amazing BUT the meringue wept heaps all over the place AND the outside went soft immediately.
What did I do wrong?
Grateful for any help.

cap, Aug 9, 12:55am
I think it is to do with beating it long enough so as to make sure the sugar is properly dissolved.

bella95, Aug 9, 12:58am
Cheers cap
I wondered but I had tested it by rubbing it between my fingers to see if I could feel sugar and beaten it for so long I thought maybe I had over beaten it.

coniproducts, Aug 9, 4:03am
Did you put the meringue on to hot filling... . maybe that was the problem. I suspect meringue should be put on cold filling.

bella95, Jan 10, 8:40pm
Cheers coniproducts
I did put it onto hot filling. They didn't specify in the recipe that it should be cooled first. The pie was so nice it's worth trying again and waiting til' it's cold. So disappointed as it looked fantastic with all it's georgeous layers and 5 minutes later all soft and weeping. Looked like a party hat that had been rained on.