Meringue Nest recipe needed

angelm15, Feb 11, 5:30am
does anyone have a fail proof meringue nest recipe that does not take forever to cook?

juliewn, Apr 9, 12:57pm
Hi.. any meringue recipe can be used.. for each nest, spread a couple of tablespoons of the mix out onto baking paper and hollow out the middle leaving a higher edge..

This is my favourite recipe:

Beat 2 egg whites with 125gms sugar until very stiff and the sugar has dissolved.
Place on baking paper in the shapes that you want.
Bake at 120°C about an hour, until they are crisp and slide easily on the paper.
Cool and store in an airtight container or freeze.
Decorate as you wish..

Variations I've tried.. and that taste very good..

Use brown sugar instead of white and add 1 tsp vanilla essence for a caramel flavour.

Add 1/2 to 1 cup of coconut, and fold through the mix before placing on the baking paper.

Add 1/2 cup white, dark or milk chocolate chips, and fold through the mix before placing on the baking paper.

Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup peanuts, slivered almonds or chopped nuts, and fold through the mix before placing on the baking paper.

Chocolate mousse is great to use to fill meringue nests - my favourite - and easy - recipe:

Break into squares 125gms chocolate (we use Whittakers) and place in a microwave proof bowl with 25 gms butter.
Zap just till butter is melted.
The chocolate will have melted too and will still look like squares. Stir till the chocolate and butter have blended.
Add 2 egg yolks and 1/2 tsp vanilla and stir quickly and well and set aside.
Whisk the 2 egg whites till stiff.
Fold gently through the chocolate mix..

Pour into pretty dishes. stemmed wine or champagne glasses, or a bowl - and you're done!

To make a little extra, add a third egg, while leaving the other ingredients as they are..

The recipe would be nice made with caramello chocolate, or any kind you fancy, for a change..

If you fill the nests with chocolate mousse, then cover with a layer of whipped cream and decorate, the mousse is a surprise for guests when eaten..

Enjoy..