Storing a pav for one night.

b190, Dec 18, 9:11pm
I'm on pav duty this year for xmas lunch and I've only ever made one before (which was really good although it had a few cracks through it but fine covered with cream!). If I make it on Xmas eve (so I have time to make another if it doesn't work out!) should it be kept overnight in the fridge or an airtight container in the pantry.!
Also how do you decorate yours! Just cream and strawberries.! TIA :)

bumblebee13, Dec 18, 9:14pm
if you dont put cream on it you can store it in a cool place , flakes are nice crumbled over the top of the cream

b190, Dec 18, 9:24pm
Oooh yum. I guess flake would also be good over strawberries too. :)

245sam, Dec 18, 9:32pm
b190, although I have yet to do so myself, I understand that pavlovas freeze very well so if you want to be extra well prepared, the pavlova could be made any time and stored in the freezer.I also understand that because the pavlova does not freeze to be really hard, it can be cut directly from the freezer e.g. for smaller households.cut a wedge, put the rest back in the freezer; therefore IMO a whole pavlova would not need to be long from the freezer prior to decorating and serving.

Now to answer your question - store your uncreamed pavlova in a cool place, not the refrigerator, then cream and decorate the pavlova as close to serving time as possible.Once creamed the pavlova should be refrigerated.Personally (and I have noted that I'm not alone on this one)I prefer pavlova without cream so I really appreciate it when the cream is served in a dish alongside the pavlova rather than the top being smothered, cracks or no cracks, with IMO way too much cream.

Hope that helps.:-))

sarahb5, Dec 18, 9:36pm
Are you my son!My older boy is the same so we don't decorate the pav anymore - just stick it on a plate and you help yourself to berries, ice cream, passionfruit, cream, etc.I must admit it makes life a lot simpler.I have one son who doesn't like cream at all and another the exact opposite - could probably drink it straight from the pottle .

b190, Dec 18, 9:47pm
Very helpful , thank you! :)

celosia, Dec 18, 9:54pm
Can pavs be made from an egg substitute!My grandson is allergic to the whites of eggs.

b190, Dec 18, 11:29pm
I have no idea but bumping for you! :)

mike547, Dec 18, 11:31pm
I cook mine and then just leave it in the oven overnight

ellie_m, Dec 19, 1:10am
I'm allergic to the whites of eggs (well used to be :) ) there is a powder pav mix that you can get from the supermarket - it may just be using "powdered" egg white or the like but it could be worth a look next time you are in supermarket.

NB Have just read on a website that most of these are not suitable for pavs and meringues as they use substitutes such as potato :S

duckmoon, Dec 19, 1:13am
I had a phase when I stopped serving pav with cream. But found that the fat flavour/mouth feel cut through the sugar, so, I solved that situation by serving it with lemon flavored yoghurt

duckmoon, Dec 19, 1:13am
I think that is the moment you start looking for a different dessert

wingee, Dec 19, 1:40am
How long can a pav be stored for, ie how many days prior to xmas can one be made.I made the Annabel Langbine mini cococut pavs last year and made them several days prior with no problems and kept them in an air tight container. (Mrs W)

sarahb5, Dec 19, 1:40am
Will be having Greek-style yoghurt and mixed berries with mine this year thanks to WW .

kinna54, Dec 19, 2:47am
Me too, then I will pack it in an airtight container.not tupperware or plastic, (it sweats)I put mine in an older stylecake tin and seal the edges with tape. I am making mine on the 23rd, and it will stay in the oven overnight, then be packed up next morningto travel and then creamedonxmas day. Make sure the pav is well dried out and the outer is crisp (that's why you leave it overnight in the oven) it will be fine.

kinna54, Dec 19, 2:49am
PS. Have frozen pavlova rolls before, (they do come out a bit softer)but not had success with ordinary pav.

rojh2, Dec 19, 4:27am
I always looked forward to left over pav on boxing day as I loved the way the flavour of the fruits seeped thought the cream. So then I thought why not have this on Christmas day. So now I make it the day before. Cream it (no sugar) Cover it with sliced strawberries, blueberries and then drizzle passion fruit pulp over top. And when I say cover it, I mean cover it. I slice the strawberries rather than quarter them and cover the whole pav.

halofan, Dec 19, 9:10am
Our fav pav topping is cream with Ezi-yo passionfruit pulp on the top!Yummo. colourful and supa ezy.

shelley39, Dec 19, 6:40pm
I leave my pav in the cold oven or microwave (so ants dont get it) and put cream and berries or grated chocolate on top the day I want to eat it.The Pav I make is one you put in a hot oven then turn off and the pav cooks as the oven cools so I usually make it before I go to bed and leave it in the oven.

seniorbones, Dec 19, 11:57pm
I always make mine the night before and when cooked turn the oven off and go to bed! it stays there unless I need the oven otherwise I put it on a plate and in the pantry until ready to put the cream on.

lodgelocum, Dec 20, 12:49am
Always make night before needed, just gladwrap on a plate, should be as good as, as others have said.