Summer Pudding

nor2, Nov 29, 7:04am
I know this thread is old but I have just made this pudding.You wouldn't know it's bread, and next time I will use a spicy loaf or something similar.

It's easy to make, looks flash and tastes good.Might make it for Christmas Day.

deansstand, Nov 29, 8:24pm
Thanks for this will try it out with the frozen fruits.

micfee, Dec 16, 11:15pm
Does anyone have a good fail safe recipe for this.I have to make one for Christmas Day for 8 people.

cookessentials, Dec 16, 11:52pm
Yes, I do. it is a favourite in our family, being British, it is something my Mum makes and I love it.

300g raspberries
300g blueberries
250g strawberries, halved
300g blackberries
75g caster sugar
80ml water
12 sandwich slices white bread

Frozen raspberries, blueberries and blackberries are ideal for this recipe. Best made a day ahead.

Combine berries, sugar and water in a saucepan; stir over low heat until berries are softened. Strain berries and reserve syrup.

Remove the crusts from the bread. Cut a 9cm circle from one slice of bread, then cut the remaining slices into three equal strips. Brush one side of the round of bread with the reserved syrup and place syrup-side down in the base of a 1.75 litre (7-cup) capacity pudding basin. Brush one side of the remaining bread strips with the syrup. Reserve six strips. Position the remaining strips, syrup-side down around the side of the pudding basin, overlapping slightly.

Spoon the berry mixture into the basin, arrange reserved slices over the top of the berries; cover with plastic wrap. Place a small plate on top of the pudding, place cans of fruit on the plate to weigh the pudding down; refrigerate overnight.

Place the remaining syrup in a small pan. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for about five minutes or until the syrup is thickened slightly; cool.

Turn pudding onto a plate and brush with the syrup. Serve cut in wedges with remaining syrup and thick cream, if desired.

micfee, Dec 17, 1:30am
Thanks you for this.How many does it serve!

cookessentials, Dec 17, 2:04am
You are welcome. it would serve 8 people. All depends on how bigger serving you give too I guess!

cookessentials, Dec 17, 3:29am
Now I must appologise about mentioning a 1.7litre pudding basin.apparently there are posters who think that by mentioning any piece of cookware equipment that i am advertising.

micfee, Dec 18, 12:22am
really!That is ridiculous.Some posters can be soooooooooo OTT.

cookessentials, Dec 18, 1:23am
The reality of this message board I'm afraid. Let us know what you think of the pudding. The thought of bread soaked in fruit juice for some people makes them shudder, but you wouldn't even know it had bread in it.

gilligee, Dec 18, 1:55am
Would you freeze it by any chance!

cookessentials, Dec 18, 1:59am
No, you cant freeze it.