Ham in slow cooker

propagator, Dec 14, 4:11am
I would be interested to know if anyone has cooked a ham in their slow cooker.I have 'Googled' but there are so many different types of ham and processes.We have a 'bone in' leg ham which we have cut in half to fit the slow cooker should we cook it that way. Would the skin be left on!Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sarahb5, Dec 14, 5:15am
It doesn't take long to cook ham anyway because it's already cured so not sure it's worth doing it in the slow cooker since it only takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours in the normal cooker.I would take the skin off because you do when you cook it in the normal cooker but I don't think you'd get the proper glazed effect in the slow cooker.

luvwine, Dec 14, 5:23am

raewyn64, Dec 14, 5:58am
So could I use a slow cooker to warm up a cooked ham!i won't have an oven and would like to have a warm ham for some rolls at a BBQ. (Sorry to take over this thread).

dex250, Dec 14, 7:35am
I cook mine in the slow cooker & it comes out fantastic. I put a cup of brown sugar on the bottom, then put the ham in & put a cup of brown sugar over the top of the ham (no water required, as it just melts & turns to liquid anyway). I leave it on most of the day on low. It comes out so tender & juicy!

dex250, Dec 14, 7:36am
Yes you could use one to warm it up. Wont hurt

propagator, Dec 14, 11:14pm
Thanks for your replies. dex - using the brown sugar dosen't give the ham a sweet taste does it!How long do you cook it for, bearing in mind ours is now only 1/2 a ham. Cheers.

guest, Jan 11, 11:21am
God help me, I put aside a whole afotonren to figure this out.

guest, Jan 13, 2:06pm
Hey Chef John, In Germany this 'dish' even has a name! Once you put that ham and egg on a piece of toast with a slice of melted chseee on top it is called 'Strammer Max' (which translates 'burly Max') You fry the toast and melt the chseee just like you did here in one pan with the lid on. JUst a fun fact you might wanna forget about real soon! :) Or you call your methode "burly John"! Cheers