Making your own butter

Page 2 / 3
uli, Dec 4, 7:50am

babytears, Dec 4, 8:03am
Oh. wow, thanks for the links - you learn something new everyday. I never knew you had to work the buttermilk out

samanya, Dec 4, 9:35am
In NZ they are often called butter pats.

lythande1, Dec 4, 5:47pm
You don't live on a dairy farm unless you or your partner is employed there. So she may not be, but I bet her partner is. Or a sharemilker or such.

maysept, Dec 4, 6:37pm
Well that's just not true. My family rented a farm cottage on a dairy farm whenI was a kid- we had nothing to do with the farm, just because you live on a farm, doesn't mean you're involved with it. A lot of ignorance in this thread.

charliesangel04, Dec 4, 8:30pm
Thankyou to all the helpful people! it is possible to rent houses off dairy farmers and really good of the farmers to let u get milk straight out of the vat.I look forward to tryin outthe butte makin process.

uli, Dec 5, 1:28am
If you have enough milk then you can also make yoghurt, quark, cottage cheese or even "real" cheese. No need to stop at making butter :)

annie.nz, Dec 5, 4:09am
God help us, could you trolls leave the poor woman alone!This is really nasty stuff, this sort of creepiness ruins one of the best parts of the TradeMe message board.

This would be a good time to look at lythande1's feedback and add her to your blacklists, guys.

jag5, Dec 5, 5:02am
If you have access to free milk and cream.for $19.95 you can purchase a brilliant book on how to make your own cheese - including cambert, haloumi, chedders, cream cheese, mascapone.lots more and butter too.

It is a new book out in book stores now

and I am so jealous of you for having free stuff LOL

uli, Dec 5, 5:57am
Might help to put the title of the book in jag5 - there are at least 20 or 30 books out there - but only one written in NZ! The others often use cultures and stuff we do not get here.

jag5, Dec 5, 6:28am
LOL I did think of that uli.but I couldn't find the book nor think of the title.have it now

How to make Cheese and other dairy products by Jean Mansfiel in conjunction with NZ Lifestyle Block .they really are easy recipes.

cookessentials, Dec 5, 6:32am
Lived on a dairy farm for over a year and neither of us were dairy farmers!

babytears, Dec 6, 1:16am
Thanks for the heads up - yes I can't believe the ignorance. nasty ignorant people/person!

As for that latest cheese book that is out - it looks brilliant, I'm quite keen to get that

punkinthefirst, Dec 6, 1:58am
As an ex dairy farmer (and I'm saying this kindly) don't forget that the milk you are getting for free actually costs the farmer at least the price he would be getting from the Dairy Company. (70 cents a litre last time I looked) Don't mess things up for yourself by taking a lot of milk without offering to pay for it. 10 litres of milk is only enough to make about a kilo of cheese, so you would need gallons and gallonsto make any appreciable amount of the stuff.
I, too, would have offered milk from the vat if I'd been in your landlord's position, but I would never have taken kindly to being taken advantage of.

harrislucinda, Dec 6, 2:01am
itisnotbeingnastyjustlook at thethreadHOWDO YOUMAKEBUTTERFROMMILKwellaskyourselfbutterfrommilk,comeon,evenbetteriknowkidsfromtowndontknoweggscomefromchooksso howsadisthat

malcovy, Dec 6, 3:56am
Technically this is correct ie milk from a cow, so you are completely right.
You only learn if you ask and I am sure the other critical posters were not born all knowing and they just found out sooner.My recommendation is never stop asking :-)
Mum used her Kenwood as did another poster and if you want to do it that way then make sure you have the guard on to stop splashing.Mum always added salt, just not sure when.When the cream turned into butter Mum stopped the machine, took out the butter and washed the butter under cold runningwater till milky residue was gone.She then covered the butter and put into fridge.
Mum also boughtbutter off a farmers wife.This butter that smelt real bad to me but Mum said it was brilliant for baking, this butter was very popular with home bakers.I couldn't eat the baking as I could taste the butter but no-one else could.

elliehen, Dec 6, 5:13am
:))

buzzy110, Dec 6, 6:09am
On more piece of information that I learned at a Kathrine Mowbray Cheesemaking course is to not use the freshest cream to make butter. She said to leave it for a few days, or in her case, to just before the use by date.

She has a fabulous book our called Cheesemaking by Kathrine Mowbray as well.

charliesangel04, Dec 6, 7:14pm
We get about 1.5L every few days, Im pregnant so dont drink it, we really appreciate that the farmers r being generous and hopefully we arent takin advantage! :)

griffo4, Dec 6, 7:38pm
charliesangel04 perhaps you could give the farmers a gift basket for Christmas as a thank you for the milk!
lt doesn't have to be a big expensive one as it is the thought that counts, and don't forget a couple of beers ;-))

You can pasteurise the milk and drink it safely yourself
l drank milk straight from the vat for all my pregnancies and had no problems but things have changed these days
On saying that our kids milk was also straight from the vat as well bar one child who had to be on goats milk so we would milk the goat and fed it directly, no problems, but like l say things have now changed

charliesangel04, Dec 7, 2:18am
Thats a fantastic idea thanks, the owners here r great people. Is it ok to drink the vat milk once baby is born! im 37 weeks so hopefully my little bundle of joy will be arrivin soon! Im lookin forward to havin fresh milk again!

muddler, Dec 7, 2:22am
You could make mozarella andriccotta with milk if you have the cheese cultures. you can get cheese making kits relatively cheap :) and use the cream off the top for butter and marscapone. Butter is just cream beaten with a pinch of salt.

vmax2, Dec 7, 3:01am
There is no reason at all why you shouldn't drink raw milk when you are pregnant unless the farm you get the milk from doesn't take care of their animals, cleanliness etc.Raw milk has protective qualities in it.Pasteurised milk poses more danger as it is a dead product and starts rotting instead of raw milk which just naturally sours when it ages.

jcsolgier, Dec 7, 3:32am
Why are there so many nasty people around today! Is a full moon or something!
You lucky lucky thing! We used to have a house cow and I miss it so much.
Sounds like you have got the method to butter above - but don't stop there! Cheese is surprisingly easy to make and so is yoghurt. Then there is sour cream etc etc. You can buy starter kits (look up mad millie) to get you going, or buy what you need separately.
Happy dairying!

jcsolgier, Dec 7, 3:36am
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1978-03-01/How-To-Make-Butter.aspx
this has a really good step by step guide to making butter from milk that you get straight from the cow :)