Cafe food question

Page 2 / 2
uli, Dec 2, 1:23am

davidt4, Dec 2, 1:55am
Double Yikes!I wonder what's in it.

davidt4, Dec 2, 1:58am
Tracked it down, a pleasant occupation for a Friday afternoon.This is the ingredient list for MINOR'S® Hollandaise Sauce Concentrate marketed by Nestle.

SOYBEAN OIL (TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID ADDED TO PROTECT FLAVOR), MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, MARGARINE [PALM OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, SALT, VEGETABLE MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, SODIUM BENZOATE (A PRESERVATIVE), CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE ADDED, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR), WHEY], PALM OIL, NONFAT MILK, EGG YOLKS, SALT, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, 2% OR LESS OF SUGAR, SOY LECITHIN, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), ENZYME MODIFIED MILKFAT, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, XANTHAN GUM AND LOCUST BEAN GUM, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR), ASCORBIC ACID, FLAVORING, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM CASEINATE, WHEY, CITRIC ACID (A PRESERVATIVE), COLOR ADDED, SPICES. CONTAINS: MILK, EGG, SOY INGREDIENTS.

davidt4, Dec 2, 2:04am
And Colman's Hollandaise contains wheat and barley!

http://www.colmans.co.uk/our-range/pour-over-sauces/hollandaise-sauce/

vmax2, Dec 2, 2:07am
I actually found something to eat last night at the deli section of a supermarket.Was just going to get the boys something and eat something when I got home.But there in front of me was cooked chicken just with herbs and cooked veges.Yah.It was a little boring because I said no gravy.Should have had lots of butter on the veg.But I didn't have to cook, hasn't happened in a long time.

uli, Dec 2, 2:52am
Let's hope it wasn't an Ingham :)

vmax2, Dec 2, 4:00am
To tell the truth the chicken was dry and boring.I'm always disappointed when we go out for dinner.I always feel I could have done better at home.But it's the occasion, the company you keep and the fact you don't have to cook it and do the dishes which makes the difference.We sat outside under some trees, it was a beautiful day and I enjoyed not cooking, but it was boring without some beautiful butter.

trah, Dec 2, 7:04pm
Radark, if you are still checking this thread:my pet peeve in cafes is the blooming SIZES of the serves.Often when I go in I am peckish, but am totally put off by the huge paninis, muffins etc and just have a cuppa instead!Surely there must be others like me who end up not buying food, and therefore a lost sale to the cafe owner.Or, do they just buy the big size anyway, and to hell with the consequences, hence the growing obesity rate!

skippie1, Dec 2, 8:11pm
trah, I fell like that as well, so much is oversized. Last week stopped for a coffee in our local NW cafe, wanted a date scone, not having seen them, it was served and it was like a half loaf of bread,so of putting, no wonder we as a nation are growing. So I will not order that any more either.

indy95, Dec 2, 10:12pm
To go back to the OP's original question and to avoid completely hijacking this thread I always look for fresh low-carb savoury items in cafes with the emphasis on fresh and occasionally indulge in a sweet treat. I also have an issue with the size of many paninis, wraps, sandwiches, scones and filled rolls and am sometimes put off by the " stale and probably been sitting in the cabinets for far too long " appearance of cafe food.

punkinthefirst, Dec 4, 12:21am
Yikes! at the ingredient list in those packaged Hollandaises (when the genuine has lemon juice and/or vinegar, egg and butter, only, and is easy and quick to make once you have done the reduction).
My beef with cafe food is that so much of it is made from mixes, and very little tastes like the real, old-fashioned recipes it purports to be. On the good side, the coffee is almost always perfect.

davidt4, Dec 4, 12:48am
My thoughts exactly.I would rather go without than eat most counter food.To answer the original question, what I would choose if available would be a fresh salad with meat, fish or eggs and a dressing made from olive oil and vinegar, without sugar or other additives.Even some plain hard boiled eggswith a simple mayo would do.

disco_super_fly, Dec 4, 1:06am
Really depends on where you are from. Auckland has some AMAZING cafes which cater to all sorts of allergies/intolerneces, vegetarianisn, veganism, etc. And OP if i'm going out for a coffee with a friend I will usually buy something sweet like a citris apricot slice, caramel slice, cherry tart sortof thing. If i'm going out to buy lunch, then I'd probably buy a gourmet sandwich if they sell them, or a vegetarian pie with salad.

disco_super_fly, Dec 4, 1:38am
Oh my gosh, just looking through your cafe photos. I am SOOOO happy that you sell both short blacks and long blacks for $3! Finally, pricing which makes sense!