Nice slice for Xmas please.

Page 1 / 2
rarogal, Nov 29, 3:50am
would like an extra special slice to take to a Xmas brunch (which goes all day, lol).

nzl99, Nov 29, 4:07am
Sweet slice!

rarogal, Nov 29, 4:09am
Yes please, I have made so many and just want something a bit different.

2bakerz, Nov 29, 4:13am
Just done one using crushed gingernuts, preserved ginger, caramel condensed milk - Caramel Ginger Slice (or balls) I think I got it from this forum too - very nice if you like the lovely ginger taste.I did mine as small balls rolled in coconut.

tipsy_bl0nde, Nov 29, 4:39am
There is a wonderful caramel crumble slice on here somewhere that i use and the original poster must be a goddess! i chop up almonds and allsorts to put on top with the crumble but definitely a hit with everyone!

rainrain1, Nov 29, 5:22am
Caramel Marshmallow Slice

Base
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
Vanilla essence to taste
1 1/2 cups self raising flour

Filling
1 tin condensed milk
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons butter

Topping
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon gelatin

Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla essence, mix, add flour. Spread dough on a greased baking dish. Bake at 180 C until brown. Mix condensed milk, egg yolks, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan and cook over a low heat stirring. Spread on cooked, cooled base.

Boil together sugar, water, gelatin for 5 minutes. Take off heat and beat until thick and fluffy - this takes a while. Spread on slice and cool and keep in the fridge.

puss-n-boots, Nov 29, 6:44am
If you really want something totally unique and have everyone raving about your wonderful cooking skills try this: CHOCOLATE PAVE
125g butter cubed; 400gplain chocolate coarsley chopped; (can use dark, milk or white)4 egg yolks; 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted; 2 cups cream, lightly whipped.
1. line a standard loaf tin with plastic cling wrap(I use my lunch box size tupperware square round). Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of hot simmering water. (or microwave for 2mins to melt)
2. Stir until smooth then set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Place egg yolks and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy.Stir this into the melted chocolate mix. Whisk in the whipped cream to combine.
4. Pour the mixture into prepared loaf dish and refrigerate overnight to set. Cut into slices just prior to serving with thick greek yoghurt and fresh in season berries/fruit.
PS: don't make the mistake of cutting your slices too thick as less is best.Use the left over egg whites for your xmas pav.

rarogal, Nov 29, 7:45am
Mmmmm.thank you everyone.Bakerz, I just made those balls last weekend and they were delicious!Never thought of making them into a slice. Great idea.

macwood2, Nov 29, 10:23am
puss-n-boots what is the texture of your Chocolate Pave!Is it lik a pate or a mousse!It sounds interesting.

puss-n-boots, Nov 29, 5:33pm
sort of like a soft pate to cut/eat but once in the mouth melts smooth like a mousse.Can't be picked up in the fingers to eat as soft and melts quickly, you will require a spoon and small plate

sunshine78, Nov 29, 6:59pm
Ooh could you please post the link for me. I tried using the search function on the left but waaaaaaay too many t trawl through

scout_6001, Nov 29, 7:35pm
I got this recipe many years ago from a Woman's Weekly magazine.Not sure if it has been shared in this forum before.

Chocolate Coconut Slice

1 cake King Size Dairymilk
8 oz sugar
8 oz coconut
2 eggs
4 oz nuts, saltanas, green and red cheeries

Melt chocolate in sandwich tin over saucepan of boiling water.Place in refridgerator to harden a little.Beat egg and sugar, add coconut, fruit and nuts.Spread over choclate.
Bake at 100C - 150C for 20minutes.Cut while warm, but leave till cold before removing from tin.

sniper03, Nov 29, 8:04pm
Was this the one!

Caramel Ginger Balls

Ingredients:

1 Packet Griffin's Gingernut Biscuits (crushed)
½ Cup Desiccated Coconut
½ Cup Crystallised Ginger (chopped)
¾ Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Cup White Chocolate Melts
Extra Desiccated Coconut

Instructions:

1. Combine the crushed biscuits, coconut and ginger in a medium bowl.

2. Place the condensed milk and white chocolate melts in a medium saucepan.

3. Cook over a low heat until the chocolate is melted.

4. Using moist hands, roll the mixture into small balls and then roll in the extra coconut.

5. Refrigerate for at least ½ and hour.

theanimal1

rarogal, Nov 29, 8:42pm
Yes Sniper that is the one, I dipped mine in melted chocolate.

chooky, Nov 29, 8:55pm
Hi, Can you freeze the caramel ginger balls, and then dip in chocolate the day before. Trying to get abit organised for Christmas. Thanks.

rarogal, Nov 29, 10:22pm
I have another, chooky, made with cream cheese that you can freeze, much the same as above, I'll post it. Not sure about the Condensed Milk one.

rarogal, Nov 29, 10:25pm
Ginger Cream Truffles
1 x 250g pkt Gingernuts
250g cream cheese (8oz), but not light or softened.
1 cup icing sugar
2tsp ground ginger
1 cup crystallised ginger, chopped
1-2 x 375g pkts dark choc melts

Crumb the ginger nuts in a food processor. Add cream cheese, icing sugar & ground ginger. Mix until well combined then pulse in crystallised ginger.
Roll mixture into balls of desired size (large cherry size makes about 40) and place on tray lined with baking paper.
Chill in the freezer for at least an hour (Can be stored in freezer at this stage for up to 3 weeks).
Melt choc as per packet instructions.Using a dipping fork plunge the truffles into melted choc, shake off excess, and carefully place on a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Store in a cool place, but not in fridge.

245sam, Nov 29, 10:32pm
chooky, I have very successfully frozen the Caramel Ginger Balls for about 3 months but they weren't chocolate coated before or after freezing - I rolled them in coconut as per the recipe.:-))

sarahb5, Nov 29, 11:21pm
Does fudge count as a slice!I made Nigella's chocolate fudge at the weekend - so easy and it was so yummy I had to put it in the freezer before I ate it all!I used a combination of 100g pistachios and 50g cranberries and put the pistachios in the freezer before using them so they were easier to break up by thumping them with my rolling pin .

Ingredients
350g/12oz dark chocolate, at least 70 per cent cocoa solids, chopped
1 x 397g/14oz can condensed milk
30g/1oz butter
pinch salt
150g/5¼oz unsalted pistachios, shells removed

Preparation method
1.Place the chopped chocolate, condensed milk, butter and salt into a heavy-based pan over a low heat and stir until melted and well combined.
2.Place the nuts into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin, until broken up into some large and some small pieces.
3.Add the nuts to the melted chocolate mixture and stir well.
4.Pour the mixture into a 23cm/9in square tray, smoothing the top with a wet palette knife.
5.Let the fudge cool, then refrigerate until set.
6.Cut into small pieces approximately 3cm x 2cm/1¼in x ¾in. Cutting 7 x 7 lines in the tin to give 64 pieces best achieves this.
7.Once cut, the fudge can be kept in the freezer - there's no need to thaw, just eat straight away.

cosimo, Nov 30, 3:35am
Can anyone help!I would love to try Nigella's christmas pudding balls (on her programme last night) but wasn't able to write down what she put in with the cake (apart from melted chocolate).Did anyone make a note of it!And can I use white chocolate instead of white melts for the topping!

245sam, Nov 30, 3:49am
cosimo, I didn't see that programme last night but I think you'll find the recipe you're wanting at:-

http://www.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-nigella-s-christmas-puddini-bonbons/a/18992/

Found by doing a Google search - hope it's the one you're wanting.:-))

cosimo, Nov 30, 4:13am
Wow, that was quick - thank you so much 245sam.No excuses now, I will have to get onto them.The first Christmas function is only 9 days away! (I couldn't remember what they were called, so didn't bother googling)

245sam, Nov 30, 4:34am
cosimo, you're welcome - I didn't know what "they" were called either so I actually used the info' you had postedi.e. "Nigella's christmas pudding balls" and when the recipe came up on that link it just seemed to me to 'fit' with what you had called them.I haven't compared the recipes but Alison Holst had a recipe for a very similar use of leftover pudding or cake in one of her books many many years ago.:-))

earls5, Nov 30, 7:09am
havent got a slice, but try these nice easy peasy balls, yumo, toffee pop balls take 2 pkts of toffee pops, bought on special of course, 3/4 container of cream cheese, not the spreadable, whizz all together ,roll into balls an dip into melted choc, easy,could use the minted toffee pops if u like, but i prefer just the ordinary ones,

sarahb5, Nov 30, 8:06am
Most of Nigella's recipes can be found on the BBC website