! Mussels

granny98, Nov 25, 8:27am
I won a large box of mussels, vacuum packed in sealed bags (all in shells) But I have no idea on how to cook them.
I would be very grateful for your ideas please.
If I put them in a pot of boiling water I know to discard unopened ones but do i take them out as soon as they're opened.
Also , how to do these on barbeque.!

beaker59, Nov 25, 9:11am
You really don't want to "boil' them as such, but rather steam them so just a bit of water in the bottom of the pot works best. If I have allot I steam them open then shell into a bowl with vinegar they keep in the fridge for a couple of days like that fine.A bit of wine herbs etc is nice to steam in too.

They also freeze in the shell well too then when they thaw they open so you have raw shelled mussels which are great to put make fritters with.

beaker59, Nov 25, 9:14am
There is a trick to Mussel fritters, shell them live do not steam open its actually quite easy once you get the knack. Then cut each Mussel into 3 pieces and put in a bowl for each dozen good sized mussels add a finely chopped onion, a finely chopped tomato and a handful of chopped herbs like basil and corriander. I add crushed garlic and chilli but thats optional then add 2 or 3 tablespoons of flour an egg and a 1/4 tsp of baking powder. I sometimes add a pinch or two of curry powder too. Then stir well and fry in a mix ofoil and butter. small ones for finger food or a nice big fritter for a meal.

margyr, Nov 25, 6:05pm
they are great on a bbq, just put them on and wait till they open, nom, nom.

jag5, Nov 26, 12:05am
Watching Rick Stein 2 weeks ago.he was doing mussels.he said there is nothing wrong with unopened mussels.if they are open before cooking.throw away yes.but still perfectly fine if not opened after cooking.just harder to open.
I eat them now.no problems - if good enough for a world renowned chef.good enough for me

joker13, Nov 26, 7:07pm
Yep agree jag5 I eat them too. Annabel Langbein's latest book has a divine recipe where you put a splash of water in a saucepan throw in the mussels in shell and put the lid on toss it around abit and 3 mins they are done. Then pull out of shells and put back in one shell. Meanwhile wilt spinach, cream and garlic. Put this goo on the bottom of shell, mussel on top and grated gruyere cheese then quickly grill. They are very mild this way and delicious.

fisher, Nov 26, 9:54pm
margyr. yes , i line them all up the same way on the bbq over the grill.
then turn them over open side up to retain the juices . that way you know which ones you haven't turned over.
Nice melted butter, with fine chopped parsley and garlic and a wee touch of piri piri to dip them in.

fisher, Nov 26, 10:04pm
Mussels. I prefer to steam mussels in a steamer OVER boiling water. when they open I plunge them for a few seconds into cold water to stop them cooking further. then open shells and clean up. this way they retain their flavour. To my mind boiling,dissipates the flavour .( I too use unopened mussels )

fisher, Nov 26, 10:10pm
Mussels and Tomatoes
Take a wok and put in a little oil5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine and gently fry.don't burn.now add 1/2-3/4 cup of white wine.
Add your mussels and cover. .While they steam,finely chop up a cup of parsley and rip up some basil leaves.
Turn the mussels over until all have opened, put in the parsley, basil and sliced quarteredtomatoes and mix altogether.
Remove the mussels to serving bowl and pour over the juices and tomatoes.Ground black pepper over the top (no salt)

fisher, Nov 26, 10:14pm
Mussels and Leeks.Serve with toasted French bread and butter
Slice into rings, the white part of one leek and wash thoroughly. Put into large saucepan with some crushed garlic., 4 tomatoes quartered
finely chopped parsley.2 tsp thyme . 1/2 cup of white wine.
Cook for a few minutes. Place your cleaned mussels into the pot and add some salt and pepper.,, Stir / shake the pot and let the mussels open. . Place on serving dish and pour over juices etc from saucepan.

patxyz, Nov 26, 10:17pm
Too late now but due to potential health issues,I seriously doubt that mussels in a 'sealed bag'would be live (could be wrong though)

They would already be cooked and only need reheating.

fisher, Nov 28, 12:57am
patxyz.yes I buy them , pick out each one (for broken shells) and know that I am going to use them that night.They can be frozen in the shell.
If I'm going to use them in the shell. then I do a real good scrub up leaving no blemishes etc. Once the dish has been served,I wash the shells and place in cupboard for next time.no need to spick and pan scrub next time :}

rainrain1, Nov 28, 5:09am
Chef: Richard Tills Mussel Fritters
Ingredients
· 2 cups chopped raw mussels
· 1 carrot, finely grated
· 2 chillies, finely chopped
· Handful coriander, roughly chopped
· 1 clove garlic finely minced
· 5 slices white toast bread, diced into small cubes (5mm square max)
· 2 eggs
· 1/3 cup of flour
· Salt and pepper
Method
Combine all ingredients and mix together.
Heat ½ cup peanut oil in a pan and shallow fry spoonfuls of the mixture.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve lightly salted with lemon, lime or sweet chilli sauce, or some other dipping sauce, or nothing else at all.

motorbo, Nov 28, 5:41am
that sounds delish!