Strong flavour of garlic in aioli and hummus

pamellie, Nov 25, 3:14am
I makeaioli all the time and have been making hummus a bit lately and I am having trouble with the garlic being too strong. I always choose a small clove to use but sometimes it's too much as the strength always varies and I can still taste garlic for ages after I have eaten.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to tame the rawness of it! (Apart from using less). I was wondering about cooking it first but that makes the job a lot less easy, especially when I only need such a small amount.
Is there anyway I could roast a bulb and then keep it to use as I need it!

kinna54, Nov 25, 4:03am
I use the crushed garlic in oil, as #1 I don't use a lot of garlic in my cooking, so the garlic tends to go off before I use it,and #2 I know the strength won't vary.
I only use the teeniest bit, on the end of a knife.

davidt4, Nov 25, 4:41am
Given that garlic is the essential flavouring of aioli and hummus it might be a good idea to make something elsethat doesn't depend on it for flavour.You are obviously very sensitive to the taste.

kinna54, Nov 25, 4:48am
Also to remove an after taste of garlic in your mouth chew a piece of parsley. and yes as davidt4 says try a different dressing maybe a ranch with some chives added,if you like a tangy dressing but without the garlic taste.

antoniab, Nov 25, 4:53am
We always used a bulb of roasted garlic for hummus. Then it sweetens and doesnt get that hot raw taste.
Maybe roast a whole bulb then just put a couple of roasted cloves in and see how you go!

sarahb5, Nov 25, 6:08am
I recently made a roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic - we ate some of the roasted cloves at the time and the rest I have frozen for just such a use

nfh1, Nov 25, 6:57am
I use this too, I was always throwing away shrivelled up garlic bulbs.

punkinthefirst, Nov 25, 7:00am
Me too. And the ready-grated ginger in the jar!

nfh1, Nov 25, 7:03am
Oh yes, love the ginger - make 'tea' with that with lemon!

nzl99, Nov 25, 7:41am
Soften off the chopped up garlic in some oil, in a pan, over a low heat first.No browning.In the same way that onions sweeten up and lose their stringent flavour. garlic does.Or as suggested, roasted garlic is lovely too.

nzl99, Nov 25, 7:42am
Oh and whole peeled garlic cloves are readily available in the froz vege section of your supermarket if you would like the fresh garlic taste without wastage.

pamellie, Nov 25, 7:55am
I like the flavour but not just the long lasting after taste.

pamellie, Nov 25, 7:57am
That sounds like a good idea and thenI can freeze the rest as someone else suggested.

crystalmoon, Nov 25, 7:59am
Roasted garlic is the way to go,way milder but still delishous,always use roasted garlic in our aioli.